Pimp speaks at Oxford Union with prostitute

The Oxford Union sparked controversy by inviting world-famous pimp and brothel owner Dennis Hof, accompanied by sex worker Cami Parker, to speak in a debate about prostitution on Thursday.

At the debate, responding to the claim that prostitution exploited women, Hof said, “Exploitation is on us men who don’t get enough variety and quality.” 
Speaking to Cherwell after the debate, Hof commented, “You’re a smart group of students and if you take the emotion out of it, then you’ll definitely agree with me.” He also argued that his brothels were “much better than others.”
However, Julie Bindel, co-founder of Justice for Women, who has twice visited Hof’s brothels and also participated in the debate, said, “I saw the most emotionally damaged women [there] that I have ever seen.”
When questioned on the suitability of inviting a pimp to speak in the debate, the Union commented, “The Oxford Union recognises Dennis Hof as a controversial and outspoken figure in his field. However, the Union advocates freedom of speech, and anyone who speaks in debates can and will be challenged.” 
Before speaking, Hof told The Sun that over the course of the debate, entitled ‘This House Would Recognise Prostitution as a Legitimate Business’, he intended to show attendees “how my ranch is the model of prostitution – I think they are going to like it.” 
He added, “My life has been a party for 20 years. When you legalise prostitution you take out all of the criminal elements and get safer sex. These girls are educated, young businesswomen.”  Much of the criticism of the Union over the issue has centred on its decision to invite a pimp, rather than approaching prostitutes directly. Sarah Pine from the OUSU Women’s Campaign commented, “We welcome debate on such an important issue, but inviting Dennis Hof is irresponsible. We support women who want to sell their bodies, but this does not change the fact that pimps exploit women.
“Inviting a pimp undermines women’s autonomy in this business: the Union is foolish to not recognise that prostitutes are the most important people to listen to on the subject of prostitution.”
Simone Webb, a first year PPE student at Hertford and contributor to The Guardian on feminist issues, told Cherwell that she was, “worried that his voice is being given precedence over the sex worker whom he says is coming.”
Hof, however, argued that it is businessmen to whom the sex industry should be entrusted, saying, “The message is this: You got a 1,096-year-old county and you still have not learned how to deal with prostitution. And Nevada has got it right. We know how to take it out of the hands of the criminals; Nevada does, and puts it in the hands of the businessman in the county. Right now, a fortune [in prostitution] is going to an underground criminal society.”
Hof is also planning to use his visit to the UK to meet with David Cameron and Boris Johnson to discuss the possibility of legalising sex work nationally. He commented, “I want there to be an Olympic 2012 brothel. Legal prostitution would bring in a billion pounds to your economy; it would sort out all your problems. It would be a good thing for your country, I’m telling you”
Some students expressed concern over the content of the speech. First year classicist Mona Damian had hoped that he would use the debate, “to discuss the legalisation of prostitution as a topic, as opposed to merely using it as an opportunity to promote his own business.”
However, a Union member leaving the debate said, “Hof’’s views livened things up and distracted from the feminist ranting. He seemed like a friendly guy and his friend, although quiet, was an important asset.” 

He added, “My life has been a party for 20 years. When you legalise prostitution you take out all of the criminal elements and get safer sex. These girls are educated, young businesswomen.”

Much of the criticism of the Union over the issue has centred on its decision to invite a pimp, rather than approaching prostitutes directly. Sarah Pine from the OUSU Women’s Campaign commented, “We welcome debate on such an important issue, but inviting Dennis Hof is irresponsible. We support women who want to sell their bodies, but this does not change the fact that pimps exploit women.