Gonna run this town tonight

Whether it’s a useful break from the stress of revision, an attempt to work on that beach body for the inevitable summer holiday photos, or simply a way of enjoying the occasional breaks in the early summer deluge that has hit Oxford recently, there is no better way to see the city and surrounding countryside than to run through it. Running is the most basic and inclusive of sports and the enjoyment of it derives from its simplicity. You can run with anyone, anytime, almost anywhere; all you need is a pair of trainers and the motivation to get out through the door. This article will hopefully give you the kick-start to take those first few strides and give you some ideas of where to go when you do.

At just over a mile long, the loop around Christ Church Meadows is perfect for those just starting running. Enjoy running past the tourists and watching people suffer their way along the Isis at the bottom end of the meadows. Keep an eye out for the frequent visitor to the area, a man I’ve named ‘Old Man Meadows’, who can often be found on a bench by the path along the Cherwell and will always offer cheerful words of encouragement as you run past. University Parks is also a great place to get out to for a short run close to most colleges. Catch a bit of sport on one of the many pitches as you run past, or, if you’re looking for somewhere a bit quieter, head over the bridge at the East of the parks and explore the many fields out towards Marston.

If you’re historically or Olympically-minded, where better to practice your own sprint finish than the site of the world’s first 4 minute mile, the Iffley Road Sports Complex? The track is steeped in history and free to use for all Oxford University students, so there’s no excuse not to try your hand at rivalling Roger Bannister’s famous achievement.

The best place to run without heading too far from the centre of Oxford, however, has to be South Parks. The soft grass and gentle slopes are perfect for easy running or can provide a good challenge if you want something a bit tougher. As Joseph Fellows put it in his short running video, which won the recent ‘Guardian London film competition’, ‘if I wake early, and stand upon this hill, for a brief moment, the entire city belongs to me’. The same could not be truer of an early morning jog around South Parks and the view from the top of the hill offers arguably the best view of the Oxford skyline.

Although within the confines of the ringroad, and only about 2km from the Rad Cam, the 300 acres of ancient grazing land at Port Meadow is the perfect place to up your mileage. Weave your way through the nature reserve to the East or revel in the miles of interrupted, flat grass to get your running fix. Cross the river by the marina and turn right along the footpath to explore the ruins by Godstow Lock for something a bit different too.

On the other side of the ring road, Wytham Woods are a must visit for anyone who wants something a bit more interesting than the flat grass of Port Meadow. The woods, from the Isis at Swinford down to Botley Lodge, are some of the most analysed in the world, and with over 30km of undulating rides to explore are an excellent place to test your stamina with a long run.

Similarly Shotover Country Park to the east offers the ideal off-road challenge for runners who want to test themselves, a tough, hilly area. When your legs get too tired for the hills, drop down to Brasenose Wood just across the road to appreciate the flat, leaf-covered trails.

To misappropriate the ever-insightful lyrics of Jay-Z, ‘only thing that’s on my mind is who’s gonna run this town tonight’. So dig your trainers out from the bottom of your wardrobe and go out and enjoy a run around the parts of Oxford you’ve neglected until now