Man attacked at Bridge

Police were called to the Bridge Bar and Club at around 2.40am on Saturday morning in response to reports that two men had been assaulted.

The victims were taken to be treated at the John Radcliffe hospital for injuries to the face. A 23 year old Oxford resident sustained severe injuries to his eye, while another man suffered broken teeth.

The officer leading the investigation, Detective Constable Karl Ralph, said, “This was a very nasty attack which might cost one of the victims the sight in one eye.”

Two men were arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent, a 23 year old man from Oxford and a 28 year old man from Kidlington.

The Thames Valley Police informed Cherwell that the men have since been released on police bail and will appear in court in July.

The assault is believed to have taken place in the VIP area of the nightclub, which is a favoured spot for many student revellers on a weekly basis. When contacted by Cherwell, the Bridge declined to comment on the incident.

Emma Finlayson, a first-year student at St Peter’s, expressed relief that the incident had not taken place at a student event. She said, “I go to Bridge every Thursday so I’m really glad this didn’t happen on one of the big student nights.”

Finlayson added, “I don’t think this kind of thing would happen on an Oxford uni night. I haven’t ever seen a serious fight among students on a night out.”

The Thames Valley Police is currently appealing for witnesses to the assault to come forward with information.