Construction of new China centre begins

Construction has begun on a new centre dedicated to bringing together Oxford University research concerning China. Based at St. Hugh’s College, the Oxford University China Centre aims to act as a focal point for around 40 academics from a range of disciplines.

The fundraising drive has raised just under £15 million to date, including a gift of £10 million from Hong-Kong based philanthropist Dickson Poon CBE, whom the building was named after. The centre will contain the new University of Oxford China Centre Library, which will house 60,000 volumes and a large part of the Bodleian’s Chinese book collection as well as providing a dining room, a lecture theatre and a roof top terrace overlooking Oxford.

The former principal of St. Hugh’s and the Chair of the China Centre Fundraising Committee said, “The study of China in all its aspects, from ancient to modern, literary and artistic to scientific and environmental, political and economic to philosophical, is hugely exciting and very important not just for this university, but for the whole world. The creation of this new centre for study, bringing together research space, teaching space, and space for the display of Chinese artefacts is a matter for great celebration.”

Dame Elish Angiolini, newly appointed Principal of St Hugh’s, also expressed enthusiasm, commenting, “This historic and spectacular development is particularly thrilling for me as new Principal. The Centre will enrich the academic community in Oxford and provide wonderful new facilities for the students, Fellows and wider community at St Hugh’s.”

Andrew Goudie, Director of the China Centre, was keen to emphasise that the centre will prove important for both college and the University as a whole commentin, “The construction of the new China Centre will cause huge excitement amongst those in Oxford who are interested in China, but it also demonstrates in a very tangible way the value of collaboration between a college and the University.”

However, second year Chinese student Danny Parrott commented, “I don’t think we need it – each year group has a tiny 10-15 undergraduates and we are very well resourced. I think it is a bit of a shame that we have so few undergraduates and it’s a shame the faculty isn’t bigger because Chinese is not only a very interesting degree comprising of the best bits of history, literature and language but also as everyone is beginning to realise there is an the intense need for Europe to begin engaging properly with the Chinese world. It would be brilliant if this centre and the extra funds enabled Oxford to recruit more students and hire more staff, if it’s just a building then I’m not so fussed.”