G4S HR head to take up post at Oxford

Oxford University has announced this month that Julian Duxfield, the current director of human resources at security provider G4S in the UK and Ireland, has been appointed as the new director for human resources at the University. His work will commence at the opening of Hilary Term 2013.

G4S’ much publicised failure to produce the promised number of staff over the Summer months resulted in the government seeking extra support from the armed forces. However, a spokesman for G4S was clear that the Olympic shortcomings should not impact on Mr. Duxfield’s reception from students and staff; stating, “The London 2012 contract was run as a discrete, stand-alone contract with a separate management team which did not include Julian.”

A University spokesperson responded positively to his selection, commenting, “We look forward to working with Julian; his wide-ranging past experience in human resources in both the private and public sectors will be an asset to Oxford”. On his work for G4S, they added, “The University took additional references in the light of the recent difficulties experienced by Julian’s current employer. All these references were more than satisfactory, and the University is satisfied that the difficulties G4S experienced in no way reflect on Julian personally.’

When asked for an opinion on the new appointment, Simi Nijher, a second year English student, answered optimistically, “I have the utmost faith in Mr. Duxfield, his extremely impressive career to date should fill all Oxford students with confidence in his ability”. She added that his lack of involvement in the Olympic contract meant that any failings within it should not reflect on his reputation.

An undergraduate from Exeter College was less than impressed with his appointment, claiming that, “As head of human resources for a major company based on human resource work he was obviously involved, so he was certainly partially responsible for the errors made.”

One second year studying Economics and Management quipped, “The army were well received at the Olympics, so if there are any problems here hopefully they will be met the same way!”