Maths Professor gives Queen new shape

An Oxford Professor of Mathematics has presented the Queen with a mathematical shape in celebration of her Diamond Jubilee. Professor Marcus Du Sautoy has named the shape “The Diamond Jubilee Group” in honour of Elizabeth II.

Significant numbers relating to the Queen’s reign will be set within the coordinates of the shape.The shape is a newly discovered hyper dimensional, symmetrical shape. It cannot be seen and is beyond the three dimensional world we experience. However, Du Sautoy explained that it can be described using mathematical language called “group theory.” This language was used to record the nature of the shape on a certificate presented to the Queen on Monday.

Du Sautoy’s work is part of the ‘quest’ to discover what symmetrical shapes exist. He observed that “symmetry is so fundamental to many bits of science and technology that it is important to keep pushing the boundaries of our knowledge”. Whilst accepting that the future impact of the discovery would be hard to predict, he suggested that this is the “exciting thing about mathematics” and noted possible applications “from helping us to understand what’s going on in the large hadron collider to creating powerful new digital codes”.

Professor Du Sautoy is a fellow of New College and Charles Simonyi Professor for the Public Understanding of Science, a position previously held by Professor Richard Dawkins.As part of his efforts to increase public awareness of the discovery, he is also offering members of the public the opportunity to have a shape named after them for a small donation of £10 or more to the charity Common Hope

Common Hope is an educational charity whose work promotes “hope and opportunity in Guatemala, partnering with children, families and communities who want to participate in a process of development to improve their lives through education, health care and housing.”

Gareth Wilkes, a third year mathematician at St John’s College, was positive about the potential shift in the public perception of maths. He w a s  excited that Du Sautoy had found “a way to g e n -erate nice  s y mmetrical shapes in  four dimensions whose properties are tied in with a small set of numbers- three of them in this case.”

The Queen’s reaction is the focus of speculation as Buckingham Palace does not usually comment on gifts received.Professor Du Sautoy accepted that the shape may not be all that useful for the Queen, noting that she will have to learn group theory language “if she wants to explore her new dominion in hyperspace.”

Others were not convinced that she would appreciate the presentation. Alex Roberts, a third year mathematician, said, “I think the Queen will be pretty bemused but I think she’ll just about keep a straight face.”

Mr Wilkes was optimistic about the Queen’s reaction to the gift, observing that “we can at least be certain that it’s one present she won’t already have. What do you get the woman who has everything? Something from outside the universe