Exeter College pays tribute to student

Exeter College is mourning the death of one of its students. On the night of November 12th a third year law student was killed in a road traffic accident.

In a statement to students, Benjamin Clayton, JCR President of Exeter College, wrote, “I am proud to have known and worked with her and more importantly I am incredibly fortunate to have been her friend. She was a wonderful, kind, generous and active member of the Exeter community. She was a beautiful person inside and out and a true friend on whom so many people relied.

“Flowers are being laid on the quad and extra welfare services are available to all affected. Exeter will never forget her, I will never forget her, and I hope that the spirit of vitality and exuberance that we saw in her smile will live on in us.’

The Rector of the College, Frances Cairncross, called a meeting in the chapel on Wednesday night, holding a short memorial service and offering support to those grieving.

After the service, students in the quad held hands and observed a minute’s silence for their lost friend.

A row of flowers with personal messages and other memorials have been laid in the quad and a notice in her memory has been posted on the main door to the college.

The student, who was a member of the University squash team, was described as, “beloved by many in and outside of Exeter College.”

Simi Nijher, a second year, said, “She was so welcoming when I first came to Exeter and in the year that I knew her she became more than just a friendly second year, she was a good friend and I’m so glad I got to know her.”

Another student said, “What happened has been a huge shock for everyone that knew her. She was an incredibly lovely and beautiful girl and to have her taken away in such tragic circumstances is, and always will be, just so unfair. She will be truly missed and my thoughts are with her family.”

PC James Mahony, of the Joint Roads Policing Unit based in Abingdon, released the following statement, “We would like to speak to anyone who may have seen this woman walking along the unlit section of the A40 heading towards Oxford just before 10.30pm [on the 13th of November].”