Mehdi’s kebab van loses its licence

Mehdi’s Kebab Van on the High Street had its licence revoked by Oxford City Council on Monday.

The owners, Mehdi Karrouchi and Wadeya Karrouchi, have breached their street trading conditions a number of times over the past year, with complaints over lack of compliance with food safety and fire safety regulations, and over employing non-registered workers.

Despite several notices from council officials and meetings by the Council Licensing & Registration Subcommittee to discuss how to respond to the breaches, the siblings failed to make the required changes.

During the latest visit by council staff, one of the two employees was not registered. Samantha Howell, Licensing Officer, complained about the “dirty” van, especially the floor, which was used to store frozen chips and was covered with cardboard. Lack of protective clothing, the absence of a fire extinguisher and “out of date” first aid equipment were also criticised.

The Karrouchis were censured for storing raw burgers next to drinks cans in the fridge. Officers said there were problems with the “food safety management system, food business registration, fridges and freezers at home, disinfecting water containers, hot water supply, washing vegetables, overclothing, hand washing, chopping boards and waste disposal”.

Huseyin Cacan, who works at Mehdi’s as a chef, disagreed with the council’s findings, showing Cherwell what he claimed were valid working permits for the staff, as well as his cooking qualifications and fire safety equipment.

He stated, “I disagree with the council; I think they’re wrong. I don’t care about Mehdi’s; if this closes, maybe someone won’t give me a job. That’s a problem for me.” He also defended his working practices: “I’m a proper chef, and have been for nearly 12 years. I think it’s a bit wrong. All my customers love me.” 

Mr Karrouchi has been working in the same spot since 1994, and took over the business from his father. The City Council claims that complaints have been going back to 2007.

A spokesperson for Oxford City Council told Cherwell, “A Street Trading Consent can only be issued for up to 12 months. Every March, street traders submit a new application to trade for the forthcoming 12 months.” 

Mehdi’s had its licence renewed in March despite noise complaints from Oriel College. At the time, the Council also criticised the owners for breaching terms of waste disposal and parking outside its designated space.

Second year History student Russell Newton said, “Mehdi’s being closed will decimate my already dangerously unbalanced diet. I’ll also have to find a whole new queue to lose faith in humanity in.”