BEAUTY CORNER – Punk Life

The Met Ball (a.k.a The Fashion Oscars) held last week in New York City’s Metropolitan Museum of Art cemented the status of punk in fashion. But punk is not just about black, leather, fishnets and spikes – more than any other look, it is seen through bleached brows, strong eyes, shocking hair, and deep lips. 

THE HAIR

• Anne Hathaway went the whole hog with short cropped bleached blonde hair, styled into a semi-quiff. Brightly coloured hair is the sure-fire way to achieve the punk look. Choose colours like neon green, shocking pink or bright blue. For the brave among you, go ahead and dye the lot, but if you’re not quite that daring you can always add highlights to your dark mane.
  • If you are not quite ready yet for such a transformation, style your hair into a messy up-do, then add lots and lots of safety pins. These need to be big and bold to really make a statement, so go for bigger-than-usual ones at Oxford’s many crafts shops, or at the Gloucester Green or East Oxford markets.
  • No time? A quiff like J-Lo’s is a must, or don a black wig like Madonna did.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%7566%%[/mm-hide-text] 

THE EYES & BROWS

• Like your hair, go for bright, out-there colours like purple, teal or hot pink (the ultimate punk colour) – neutrals just aren’t enough! Layer these colours on you lids, blending the darker shade along the crease. MAC Chromographic Pencils, which are multi-use, are available at Debenhams for £11.50 each.

• Heavy eyeliner is a staple of the punk look – for both guys and girls. Ginnifer Goodwin paired black smokey eyes with big, geisha-like brows, but if you decide to go for the modern clean, graphic look like January Jones, use a liquid liner, such as Benefit’s Magic Ink Jet Black Liquid Eyeline, £15.50, which creates a sleek, bold line and does not shift all night. If you are a bit shaky with the hands, go for the ultra precise Smashbox Jet Black Liquid Liner Pen, £22.50; and tone down the brows.

• Another punk favourite is face illustrations: hearts, stars… while you’re at it with the liner, why not experiment a bit?

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%7567%%[/mm-hide-text] 

THE LIPS

• Dark berry shades are the way forward, as seen on Miranda Kerr, Nicole Richie, Katy Perry, and ultimate punk girl Rooney Mara. Sleek True Colour Lipstick in Mulberry, £4, is very pigmented and one of the darkest plums on the market.
  • Alternatively, you can never go wrong with a red lipstick. Kate Lasting Finish Lipstick for Rimmel, in 01, £5.49, is a beautiful red concocted by the queen of punk Kate Moss. 

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%7573%%[/mm-hide-text]