Why I’ve decided to go Back to School

I’m not going to lie, I had the best time of my life during my last two years of school at sixth form. My friendships got even stronger, I loved my lessons (maybe not Geography, odd that I then took that for my degree…) and had a great time as part of the Sixth Form Committee. But what I definitely lacked was more support as I chose where I wanted to apply for higher education. Being told by a certain Mr X, the Careers Adviser, not to apply to Oxford certainly didn’t put me off applying, but it could have done. I am so glad that I ignored his advice and am now working as part of my job at OUSU to support Target Schools and many of other great Access initiatives across the University.

So when about a month ago now Future First approached me and asked if I (OUSU really) wanted to partner with them for the Back to School Week I seized the opportunity (and with slightly more fervor in the knowledge that Cambridge had declined). The ‘Back to School’ campaign launched by social enterprise charity Future First, is aiming next week (the 12-19th October) to encourage more people to join their already 50,000 strong network of ex-pupils. Being part of this network means that you, whether you left school just this year or 10 years ago now, can return to your school, meet current pupils and talk to them about what you’ve done since you left school.

We can all be role models for school pupils, it doesn’t matter if they don’t want to go to Oxford or apply for higher education, it’s about inspiring students, raising aspirations and ensuring that pupils apply for what they want to do and aren’t put off by a lack of information or the wrong advice. Private schools are great at keeping up with old pupils and it’s time for us to make sure this happens in state schools too. And it doesn’t matter if you were privately educated or are an international student, you can sign up on their website too to keep in touch and get involved in local widening participation events in the Oxford area.

I’ve already been back to school a couple of times, once as a Royal Geographical Society Ambassador (how cool am I?) and a second time to chat to students who were thinking of making an application to Oxbridge and had loads of questions about which college/course/the social life etc. Now I want to be part of a bigger social movement. One that is growing fast and is making it’s way across national state schools. Future First and their campaign ‘Back to School’ week are meeting this challenge head on, ensuring that alumni networks are created and used effectively to support and inspire pupils.

I’ve been challenged as part of this partnership to get 1000 Oxford alumni, students and staff to sign up. But right now I’d like to challenge you.

If you want to get involved, and be a part of this social enterprise movement then sign up on their website by clicking here.