MT13 college rugby season review

College rugby is structured around mid season promotion and relegation, with the year split into two seasons. Season 1 finished at the end of 5th week, so we can look back and review this season’s action.

Division 1

Despite a hard fought draw on the opening day of the season against Keble, Teddy Hall went unbeaten, finishing top of the pile on points difference by just 4 points. This is the first league win for Teddy Hall since 2011, with the team traditionally favouring a Cup run over the league format. Oriel and Worcester were both relegated after only managing 1 and 0 wins respectively.

Division 2

Another very tight one at the top – Catz pipped Lincoln to the Div 2 title on points difference. However, Lincoln can take comfort in being promoted alongside Catz into the top flight. Unfortunately for rugby at the university, Division 2’s biggest talking point is the Pembroke scandal which sees them automatically relegated to Division 3, alongside LMH.

Division 3

Division 3 saw a thoroughly upsetting season for Magdalen College RFC, defeated by 120 points to 5 by Somerville on the opening day of the season, they never recovered and are duly relegated having conceded an average of over 70 points a game. Despite Somerville’s start, they couldn’t kick on. Anne’s/John’s and Jesus took the promotion spots, with Anne’s/John’s beating Somerville in a crucial round 4 match. Anne’s/John’s Captain Phil Lucas in fact managed to personally score as many tries as his team conceded across the season.

Division 4

Queens had yet another undefeated division season, their third in a row. Should this coming season see a continuation of the trend, following the example set by last year’s captain, Christian Walters, current Queen’s captain Hamish Tester will have a fairly large college crest tattooed on his posterior. Promoted alongside Queen’s were Trinity whose rugby stock seems to be ever improving in recent years. Just a single relegation from Div 4 saw the Hilarians (Teddy Hall IIs) return to the comfort of Div 5, having made an uncharacteristic foray into the higher league for one term.

Division 5

With St Hugh’s dropping out of the league, in a bid to raise player numbers to return to action for Cuppers, Div 5 was a little difficult this season. We also see Wadham’s first promotion in seven years. Hertford, fresh from their summer tour to Mongolia, sit happy in mid table and will look to push on this coming season.