Sports’ awards celebrate successful year

England netballer Layla Guscoth and Brit- ish pentathlete Tom Lees were presented with Sportswoman and Sportsman of the Year, in a prestigious ceremony held by Oxford University Sport.

The new season may have kicked-off, but on Friday night students paused to reflect on the 2012-13 season and honour each other’s achievements.

Gathering on a cold, autumn evening within a spectacularly decorated marquee within the OURFC grounds at Oxford University Sport, Sports Federation President Madeleine Sava opened the dinner with a round-up of the previous year. Over two hundred current students and alumni came to reflect on the past sporting year and consign it to our history books. With awards to celebrate, short-listed nominees had been awaiting eagerly to know the results.

The Sports Federation said of the night that “the winners and nominations speak for themselves of the numerous contributions by Oxford Students during their time with us”.

One of the more striking awards went to the phenomenal modern pentathlon team for ‘performance of the year’. They excelled in every competition they entered this year, taking the top three positions in the BUCS nationals. their GB star Tom Lees won with Captain Alex Fraser 2nd, meaning that the team beat the 2nd place finishers by 1500 points. There was also a resounding Varsity success as the Oxford team won with a record breaking 30288 points.

Awards

Nike OUsportshop Club of the Year – Triathlon

Walter’s Sportsman of the Year – Tom Lees

BP Sportswoman of the Year – Layla Guscoth

Coach of the Year – Mark Thomas

Jaguar Land Rover Team Performance of the Year – Modern Pentathlon

Cuppers Trophy – St Catherine’s College