Flasher warning for Hugh’s students

Students at St Hugh’s were warned to be extra vigilant after a flasher exposed himself on two separate occasions in University Parks earlier this week.

In a round-table e-mail entitled ‘Personal Security’ sent to everyone at St Hugh’s over the weekend, college officials advised caution after reports of “men attempting to expose themselves” were submitted. They added that a box of personal alarms would be available for free in the Porter’s Lodge.

Students were also reassured that the college would be liaising with Thames Valley Police until the situation was resolved. Indecent exposure, more commonly known as flashing’ is illegal under the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

Whilst the individual responsible for the incidents remains at large, those concerned for their personal safety were instructed to contact Oxford University Security Services (OUSS) or St Hugh’s Porter’s Lodge.

A spokesperson for OUSS said, “Students travelling in and around the University Parks area should be vigilant, especially at night. Stick to well-lit areas and major footpaths and travel in pairs or groups where possible.

“Take particular caution if someone approaches you. If you find yourself in immediate danger, call the Emergency Services using the 999 number. If this is not possible, then make use of personal alarms or shout ‘fire’ or ‘call the police’ – there is evidence that this gets more reactions than shouting ‘help’.”

OUSS also stressed that no one had been injured or threatened during these offences and that there was no need for undue alarm. Those with further concerns were urged to contact OUSS or visit their website for additional resources. As an ongoing investigation, details of the incidents or those involved have not been made public. Thames Valley Police also declined to comment.

St Hugh’s is currently the only college known to have sent out advice in a personal safety e-mail. Other colleges adjacent to University Parks like Keble and LMH have yet to send out similar warnings.

Jack Stroud, a Hugh’s student, commented, “I wasn’t aware of this before the e-mail brought it to our attention. I’m not sure if the incidents involved students specifically from St Hugh’s, it could very well just be a general warning.”

One Keble second year told Cherwell, “I would say that common sense serves you best. These things happen every so often, but it’s wrong to be excessively intimidated by one or two people who want to make life difficult for everyone.”