Undergrad retains England youth rugby place

Gus Jones, a second year undergraduate at St Catherine’s College, has been included in the England U20 Rugby Union squad for the upcoming Six Nations tournament. Having come through the junior academies of London Wasps and Harlequins, Gus represented England through age group squads including at Under 16 and Under 18 level, captaining the Under 18’s to victories over France, Wales and Ireland. He also made his Under 20’s debut last year against Scotland and featured against Italy, helping the squad win the Six Nations Championship for the third year straight.

Gus’ achievement is all the more impressive given the strength of the national squad, with the Under 20’s claiming the Junior World Championship in 2013, having beaten Wales and New Zealand along the way, in addition to the Six Nations title. With players including professionals Anthony Watson and Henry Slade having played for the U20’s recently, the calibre of this squad is undoubted, with both now in and around the full England/Saxons sides.

This news follows what has already been another successful season for Gus. Gaining his second Blue, he played at blindside flanker in the Blues Varsity match at Twickenham in December, helping the Blues to victory.

England’s matches against Wales and Ireland are to be shown on Sky Sports on the evenings of the 22nd of February and 7th of March respectively.