Preview: Chess the Musical

Chess, directed by Will Law, is billed as an exciting tale of love and betrayal set against the backdrop of the Cold War; it purports to explore the east-west tensions in the form of the 1979 World Chess Tournament where the brash and arrogant American grandmaster, Freddie Trumper (played by Silias Elliot), is challenged by Anatoly Sergievsky of the USSR (played by Samuel Horsley). What rests on the outcome of the tournament is not just a title and patriotic cold war pride, however, as Freddie’s lover and second, Florence Vassy (Bethany Nixon), senses her feelings are beginning to change. Sadly both Sam and Beth were ill when I went to watch so I had to get a sense of the play without two of the leads. However the energy and enthusiasm of the chorus more than made up for their absence.

Indeed, throughout the musical numbers I watched, it was the confident harmonies and lively dancing of the chorus that really stood out. Whilst some of the leads still had some work to do – Silias Eliot forgot words and notes on a few occasions and seemed to strain slightly in his upper register (something that should be sorted out by the introduction of mikes) – the chorus were always enjoyable to watch. Congratulations should go to the choreographer Alyce Raybould for turning people who were auditioned as singers into competent dancers and really making use of the whole stage with her dance routines; the polka part of opening sequence, “Merano,” was a particular highlight.

There are still a few things that could be worked on however; occasionally poor diction meant that words got lost and some of the chorus solos in the “Press Conference” were quite awkward. Furthermore it should be ensured that the chorus act with their faces as much as with their bodies. It seemed that almost everyone, with the exception of John Maiden who needs to quell his eyebrows, managed to switch off at one point or another. Overall however Chess was a very enjoyable, generally polished performance and should be fantastic come opening night. I urge everyone, from both West and East, to get their affairs in check and roll up to the St John’s College auditorium this 4th Week for what promises to be a very entertaining show.