How We Style: Lace

Trend: Lace

Model: Alice McAndrew

Stylist and Photographer: Katie Pangonis

Lace is a tricky texture to style. Especially when it’s white. It’s all too easy to stray into a look reminiscent of your five year old self on the way to a garden party. However it’s a great fabric to add to an outfit if you do it the right way. We find it’s great as a top with light blue jeans and always a lick of vivid red lipstick and nail colour to balance out the innocence factor. Here we’ve styled it in turn with utilitarian denim shorts to modernise and toughen the look, a pretty blue skirt for a sweeter take on lace and finally red pumps to bring out the lipstick and nails and emphasise the colour contrast. You needn’t go for red, although we’d advise sticking to strong primary colours to maximise impact. Lace is a must have trend for this season, with pretty much every High Street retailer in Oxford from Topshop to M&S carrying pieces; a truly accessible and workable trend.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%9737%%[/mm-hide-text] 

Alice wears a Club Monaco silk and lace top, with vintage denim shorts, turquoise earrings and Geox sandals. The laser-cut details on the sandals complement the lace paneling on the top and the coarse texture of the denim offsets this nicely.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%9738%%[/mm-hide-text] 

Alice wears a Jack Wills lace t-shirt with a pastel skirt by Harris Wharf, with quartz and silver earrings and white Chloé sandals.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%9739%%[/mm-hide-text] 

Alice wears a Dolce & Gabbanna white lace mini dress. The purity of the dress is balanced by the short length. A great way to brighten up simple white pieces like this is with a flash of colour, and here this is acheived with the vivid red ballet flats which are matched to the lip and nail colour.  The leather shoulder bag has just enough of a red tint to tie in with the accessories without over-doing the amount of colour.