Review: Superfood — Don’t Say That

★☆☆☆☆
One Star

Superfood’s album is as musically unsatisfying as the nutritional benefits of their name sake foodstuffs. Not wasting any words, Don’t Say That really has little holistic benefit to the listener.

The band’s sound appears to be a disappointing mimicry of Peace, an attempt to occupy the same musical niche. But the stronger competitor always succeeds and outcompetes the weaker. Don’t get me wrong, Peace are a pretty good band in their own right. But mimicking the sound of a band who released their last album within the last year is never a good approach. Instead of developing their own sound, Superfood remain musically anaemic, starving themselves of any bands who could improve their sound. Not only this, but the albums cover is quite uncomfortable. The focalisation upon female body, headless and breasts which bear the band’s name is tasteless and reinforces the identity-less band image.

Lets talk about the album’s sound. None of the songs are worth mentioning individually, as the entire album blurs into one. It’s just an inane mass. The album is so innocuous that you can play it in the background and not be hugely offended. Until you listen to the lyrics. “I speak to leaves as I haven’t got any friends.” What does that even mean? Surely the band’s song writer could have thought of something better to speak to? As Ganderton himself sings, “you’re always hungry,” hoping for a good song to come along. But it never comes along. The band would have been better stealing the early demons of Peace and Swim Deep that they produced than attempting to produce their lower quality parodies. I’m sure someone will like their new album, but if they do, their musicial tastes are in need of great refinement.