The Campaign: Oxford Climate Society

Activism has become a dirty word. With climate action conjuring up images of not-so-peaceful protests and radical stunts such as Greenpeace’s take-over of the rig in the Arctic, it’s no wonder most hesitate from taking action. But it doesn’t have to be like this. The Oxford Climate Society was founded as an inclusive movement which believes in using our creativity to move climate change up the political agenda.

2015 is a pivotal year for climate action, with the General Election, and COP21 UN negotiations in Paris at the end of the year.

One of the pillars of the Oxford Climate Society is action. The actions we take are all about acting local, thinking global — actions you take in your city have the potential to reverberate globally to mobilize politicians to act decisively on climate change.

We are currently focused on the upcoming national #TimeToAct2015 climate march in London on March 7th. It is independently organised but our aim is to maximise Oxford’s presence. Often people are held back by not having anyone to go with or are intimidated by not knowing what it’s all about. This is why we’re providing Oxford students and residents with the opportunity to meet, make banners together, and feel a sense of community with those planning to go. All of this will be happening in the afternoon and evening of March 6th, right before the march the next day (like us on Facebook to keep up to date).

Alternatively, if you feel more connected with the cycling community or think fracking is the number one problem, there will be a multitude of ‘blocs’ marching on the day representing climate causes they connect with most (see timetoact2015.org).

We will also be doing some publicity stunts and mass flyering on February 28th — if you’re keen, meet us at Carfax Tower at 10am.

The action doesn’t just end there. We want people writing to members of government — we can provide template letters. Two debates are also planned for Trinity and Michaelmas involving politicians, leading scientists, thinkers to get people talking. In the lead up to COP21, we will be gathering all our energy to raise awareness and join others in urging leaders to agree on a progressive climate treaty (we are even looking for a separate Campaigns Officer to lead us in this).

Find out more and how to be a part of the movement by visiting us at oxfordclimatesociety.com.