Preview: Killing Hitler

Killing Hitler follows the story of Adam von Trott zu Solz (Linus Ubl), who arrives in Oxford in the vibrant mid-thirties of the twentieth century. While reading PPE as a Rhodes Scholar, Trott zu Solz gets involved in the organization of a plot to assasinate Hitler. Coming from high military and aristocratic circles, his co-conspirators have access to Hitler and, to a certain extent, his respect. He knows that he’s playing with fire and that every mistake could make the difference between life and death.

Once again Oxford University’s German Play proves to be a truly unique student production, standing out due to its bilingual nature and unusual close collaboration with author Bernard Adams. The former journalist and BBC-Producer based the play on memoirs, letters, and journals, carefully crafting characters, conversations and scenes closely related to the historic events. Adams, fascinated by the idea of a bilingual production, provided the director Poppy Clifford and costume designer as well as translators and producers with insights into his thought and research, resulting in a production that breaks down the barriers between history and drama.

Adam’s play, first put on stage at the Keble O Reilly in 2012, displays the effects of great historical events on everyday human relationships. Scenes depicting real-life events involving local historical figures, such as Maurice Bowra (Jonnie Griffiths) the former Warden of Wadham, who still is a person at the centre of many legends, make the play come to life for any Oxford student.

The dynamic of the play is shaped by the non-linear narrative, and even though the typical war-time flashbacks are incorporated, every scene builds on the last resulting in a moving, emotional portrait of the protagonist.  Casting native speakers for British and German roles, and translating scenes set in Germany into German makes the historical content accessible in an unexpected, natural and surprisingly emotional way. The diverse cast is more than capable of portraying the historical figures, the Russian princess Marie “Missie” Vassiltchikov (Evelyn Eisenhauer), the wartime Foreign Secretary Anthony Eden (George Robarts), the Bishop of Chichester George Bell (Sam Shepburn), and Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg (Gene Zinngrebe).

Putting the play on stage at the Nuffield College Chapel – a small and rather intimate setting – increases the proximity of the audience not only in situational terms, and may turn out to be the final touch to a moving and important production.

Killing Hitler is on at the Nuffield College Chapel from 12th – 16th May (German parts with English subtitles). Bernard Adams (Author), Verena von Trott (Daughter of Adam von Trott) and Graham Avery (President of the von Trott Memorial Funds) will give talks preceding the premier on 12th May.