Gant: Change the world, not the shirt

Photography: Ben Bransbury-Hare

Styling & Production: Emily Pritchard

Styling & Artistic Direction: Emmanuelle Soffe

Approached at the end of summer by all-American brand GANT, we wanted to do two things with our fashion supplement; showcase GANT’s range of autumn/ winter clothing, and explore the tagline “Change the World, Not the Shirt.”

Explore the range at http://www.gant.co.uk

You can’t beat the crisp, plain lines of a beautiful white shirt; styled over or under other layers, tucked in or out, classic or slightly quirky. Using some of the most beautiful locations in Oxford (all indoor shots taken at the Oxford Union), we created a classic background against which the tailoring and quality of the GANT clothing speaks for itself.

Here, we approached five Oxford undergraduates, all studying for different degrees, and all making waves in their creative involvement outside of their respective courses.

Tom Humphrey

Tom started developing apps at the age of 15. At 17, he had developed his own language learning app, Lingo. In Trinity term of his first year at Oxford, Tom and his best friend Freddie created ‘Social 150’, a social network “for the people you care about.” In just 24 hours, it racked up 10,000 hits.

Tom wears:

GANT Academic Oxford Shirt- White
GANT Cotton Wool Crew Sweater
GANT Chip Moleskine Jeans
Nicole Rayment
Discovered on YouTube by X-Factor mentor Sinitta in 2011, Nicole’s girl band Say No More opened for JLS, Jessie J and Union J in front of 25,000 people at the Madejski stadium in Reading. Scouted by M+P models when in London, Nicole’s modelling career is soaring.
Nicole wears:
GANT Diamond G- The pinpoint Oxford shirt- White
GANT Kate super stretch denim jeans- Dark blue worn in
GANT Double breasted coat- Grey
GANT winter shores turtleneck sweater- Sage
Electra Lyhne-Gold
Electra is an Art student at the Ruskin. Having spent the summer working in London art galleries and regularly attending auctions, Electra likes to create fictional narratives within her artwork. She paints from her own dramatically-staged photographs, inspired by Vermeer and film stills from the 50s and 70s. Electra then transfers these into short films.
Electra wears:
GANT Scalloped Collar poplin shirt- White
GANT Velvet Dress- Navy
GANT flat cable jumper- Cream
Henry Tudor Pole
Henry is a member of the Oxford-based band ‘Keep it Trill’. Playing specifically jazz, blues and funk, the band are fast gaining popularity after performances this year at both the Union and MedSoc balls.
Henry wears:
GANT blue fitted poplin shirt
GANT Green lambswool cable crewneck sweater
GANT The Harrison coat- brown/ green
GANT Brown tailored urban comfort pants
With special thanks to:
Michael Lucero, fashion assistant
Sheri Scott at Betty and Bee
The Oxford Union
Check out GANT’s extensive collection: