Clickbait: You won’t believe what Life is introducing…

New Year, new Cherwell blogs, a new term and in a way, an entirely new me. I’m new to the position of co-editor of Life, and let me tell you it is very reassuring not having to do this alone. Together, I and my trusty co-ed Lael will pull the pages of the Lifestyle section together, almost out of thin air to the eyes of our readers, and leave the competition reeling by the wayside. Am I being too dramatic? Maybe. But when we’re talking about Life, you either take it as far as you can or you don’t even bother showing up.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%11322%%[/mm-hide-text] 

When you think about it, all the best things come in pairs: Kim and Kanye, Will and Kate, Eric and Ernie. The age of the ‘Power Couple’ is now, people, and it’s about time that Oxford’s foremost weekly student newspaper capitalized on it. Like any good detective drama, the best results come from the best pairings. Luther and The Fall being the obvious exceptions, but I’d like to see any other actor fight for screen time with Idris Elba of Gillian Anderson. For mortals like us, forming a brilliant partnership is the only sure way of guaranteeing brilliant results and hopefully, when you take a look at the Life section of the Cherwell this term you’ll see that this editorial symbiosis yields some really great stuff. I may have misspoken earlier; it may be a new year, but it’s not just me.

Over the Christmas Vac, we’ve been preparing for the release of this term’s first edition and all the build-up has made us pretty excited. We’ve put our heads together and used our journalistic hive-mind to think up some new articles to wet your ravenous readerly appetites. Here’s a bit of what you can look forward to: 

Gascoyne’s Guidance will be hitting the press for the first time. We’ve been in communication with the nation’s top mediums and after countless séances and innumerable Ouija board sessions, we’ve found the perfect restless spirit to act as the Cherwell’s agony aunt. Lady Maud Gascoyne will be in residence to take your questions and reply from her own unique and eccentric point of view. Just over a century in the spirit realm hasn’t dulled this mistress of etiquette’s eye for culture and when called on for advice, she’ll be there to offer you her opinion on your particular struggles. If you want to have your questions answered by Lady M, please send an email to [email protected].

New column on the block, “I Need to get my Sh*t together”, will also part of the Cherwell this term for your pleasure. Have you sat awake in your college library at 3am trying to force out an essay that just isn’t happening with the dark circles under your eyes sinking further and further into your face while your health deteriorates to the point where the only certain cure is being locked inside a Perspex bubble with a sequence of Michael Bublé’s best-selling singles playing to soothe your work-shocked nerves? I know I have. If you’ve felt this way before, then hopefully reading this column will fill you with reparative Schadenfreude and let you know that at least someone else is worse off than you. Each week, one woeful Life writer will express to the world precisely why they need to get their shit together. Looking forward to it? I know I am.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%8487%%[/mm-hide-text] 

And all of your other favourite features will be back to warm your heart while you read your way through our pages. Divine Cum-edy or Creaming Spires or whatever alternative sexually provocative name we think of the night before we got to print is back to paint the town red with lipstick marks. John Evelyn returns with gossip hotter than Titanic-era Leo. And over the term we’ll be hitting you with a slew of other captivating and enthralling articles to thrill you when reading News just doesn’t do it for you anymore. Excited? I know I am.