JCRs motion in support of EU

Corpus Christi and Exeter College JCRs have come out in support of remaining within the European Union following motions in JCR general meetings which received pro-EU majorities. The Oxford Students for Europe campaign is planning to bring motions of support to Mansfield, Hertford, University, St John’s, Worcester and New throughout Sixth Week. 

A motion was proposed to Corpus JCR resolving to donate £100 to Oxford Students for Europe. Following an amendment, the motion passed included a resolution to gauge support of the pro-EU cause within Corpus Christi JCR before donating the money. 

Subsequently, a referendum in Corpus JCR in support of remaining in the EU passed with 90 per cent support and a turnout of 90 people. 

Redha Rubaie, a member of Corpus JCR who seconded the motion, told Cherwell, “We ought to try to attain funding from JCRs because the EU referendum is something which transcends the traditional political divide between left and right. Through leaving the EU, it can be argued easily, the welfare of students at the University will be put at risk. 

“I am very happy with the result of the referendum, with 90 per cent of all students who voted arguing that we ought to stay within the European Union. This shows that Corpus wholeheartedly supports the internationalist and cooperative approach to multinational issues that is a defining feature of the EU.” 

The Oxford Students for Europe campaign indicated its support for Corpus Christi’s motion and the like in other JCRs, telling Cherwell, “We are very pleased by Corpus Christi JCR’s decision to support remaining in the EU, which reflects the strong support for the in campaign we have seen among Oxford students. It is great to see JCRs engaging in the issue of the referendum and we hope to see many more student organisations participating in the debate over the coming months.” 

Exeter College JCR followed suit on Tuesday, voting to “affirm its support for continued UK membership of the European Union” and to, “Provide the Oxford Students for Europe campaign with £100 to campaign to Remain in the EU,” with 38 in favour and 15 against. 

Sam Slater, a member of Oxford Students for Britain from Exeter College, made a speech during the committee meeting raising concerns with the EU motion. Explaining his concerns to Cherwell, he said, “I really don’t think that JCRs should be funding either campaign in the referendum. Exeter JCR, at least, is constitutionally banned from supporting political parties due to its charitable status. 

“Whilst it was argued that Oxford Students for Europe is not a political party, it is a political group, as is Oxford Students for Britain, and both of us will be doing many of the things a political party does: canvassing students, distributing leaflets, and asking for votes. If it looks like a turd and it smells like a turd, chances are it’s a turd.”