Recipe: Creme Egg brownies

With four different types of chocolate, these brownies are perfect for Easter! They’re easy to bake and missing out flour means they’re gluten-free too, adding to that gooey-ness crucial for an exceptional brownie.

Ingredients (makes 12 brownies):

155g unsalted butter

395g caster sugar

45g plain chocolate, broken into chunks

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/8 tsp baking powder

85g cocoa powder

1 tbsp cornstarch

1/4 tsp salt

90g milk chocolate chips

6 Cadbury’s creme eggs, cut into halves

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas mark 3, and line a 8×8 inch tin with baking parchment.

2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat and add the sugar so it dissolves, making sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Add the chunks of chocolate and let them melt, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth.

3. Take the saucepan off the heat and mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.

4. Sift the baking powder, cocoa powder and cornstarch into the mixture with a sieve, sprinkle in the salt, and mix it all together with an electric whisk. Beat until the batter is shiny and smooth (this may take up to a few minutes), and then stir in the chocolate chips.

5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, and bake for 15-20 minutes. Then take the tin out of the oven and press the halves of the creme eggs onto the top of the brownies, spacing them evenly.

6. Put the creme-egg-topped brownies back in the oven and bake for another 10-20 minutes depending on how you like your brownies – the longer you cook them, the less gooey and more chewy they’ll be.

7. Once they’re done, take the brownies out the oven and let them cool in the tin for around 30 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy!