OO admins apologise for “Purge”

Ash MQ has published a post in which he apologises on behalf of the Open Oxford team

Following the changes that have been made in discussion rules for the Open Oxford group supporting free speech on Facebook, admin Ash MQ published an apology on behalf of the entire team. Members of the group had been banned from the conversation without prior warning for posting messages considered unrelated, leading to protests and the creation of Oxford Rebellion in response to what some called the “purge.”

Declaring they “reserve the right to remove posts and ban members for abusive and off-topic posts”, the three admins of the group, Alex McGann, Jacob Williams and Ash MQ announced the new set of rules they had agreed on in the afternoon of April 1. This change has failed to satisfy the members of the group, despite Jacob Williams evoking the fact that the decision of banning a user would be “somewhat arbitrary” but entirely normal in order for the discussion to function.

A message of apologies has been posted by Ash MQ, in which the admins states that the team is sorry for the unexpected series of bans. According to Ash MQ, this happened before the whole team decided to change the rules and the admins now agree to say that such rapid action was necessary but should have been preceded by “formal warnings”.

In his post, Ash MQ wrote, “Shitposting is definitely a problem, and so I am fully behind the changes to the guidelines — but the bannings should not have happened until after we instated the new guidelines, and only after we had issued formal warnings to the culprits.”

Ash MQ told Cherwell, “The modest rule changes are definitely a good thing.

“I just don’t support the fact the rule changes were enforced before the rule changes were announced (which happened without my knowledge or control), so I reversed that, and apologised on behalf of the admin panel. From now on the new rules will be enforced,” he added. “All the admins are behind what I did.”