Making your own pizza dough can seem daunting, but it’s actually so simple and quick – a perfect weekend dinner.
300g strong white bread flour 1tsp salt
1tsp instant yeast
1tsp olive oil
Jar of passata (classic tomato or tomato with mixed herbs)
1. Mix the salt, yeast and flour in a bowl. Heat the water over the hob until it’s warm, not steaming.
2. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the water in, adding the olive oil. Move around the bowl with a spoon (or your hands) until you have a dough.
3. At this point, you can either cover the dough with a tea towel to let it rise and then make a pizza shape, or skip the rising stage – if do you let it rise, it’ll be a thicker pizza in the end.
4. Cover the dough in passata with a spoon, leaving a little space around the edge.
5. Cut up the mozzarella into slices (this is easiest to do with scissors) and place on top of the passata.
6. Cut the prosciutto into strips and add to the pizza.
7. Cook in an oven at 240C/Gas 8 for around 10 minutes.
8. Take the pizza out, add some fresh basil and enjoy!
Of course the best thing about making your own pizza is the flexibility it offers! Switch out the prosciutto with some sweet peppers, red onion and spinach for a delicious vegetarian pizza.