Cherwell is now recruiting for editorial positions for next term. This is your chance to be part of one of the longest-running independent newspapers in the United Kingdom and to follow in the footsteps of past contributors like Graham Greene, W.H. Auden, Hadley Freeman, and Rupert Murdoch.

We are recruiting for section editors, deputy section editors, news reporters, broadcasters, and contributors.

Apply to be a Cherwell section editor here or a deputy section editor here. Email all application forms to [email protected].

Apply for a position on the Broadcasting team here. Email all application forms to [email protected].

Apply to be a News Reporter here. Email all application forms to [email protected].

The deadline for applications will be on Monday November 28 at 8pm. Please email any queries to [email protected].

Cherwell is also looking for a Puzzles Editor, cartoonists, illustrators, and photographers – all interested contact [email protected].

Candidates will have a short, informal interview with the editors. Interviews will be held during 8th Week.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for recruitment updates and news.

Our Business team is also always looking for new recruits. Cherwell provides some of the best business experience in Oxford and provides excellent preparation for any media, consulting or banking career. We’ll train you on all relevant parts of the business and teach you to raise £10,000 independently. Email [email protected] to express interest.

Editorial job descriptions:

News:

In the last six months, Cherwell has been the first to report Wahoo closing, the Norrington Table results, Tim Berners-Lee joining Oxford faculty and the Trinity freshers’ exploits in the Sheldonian. It’s very easy to get involved in the News section (and you can still contribute to other sections of the paper too): just send an email to [email protected], come to an informal interview, and you can be at the forefront of student journalism (maybe even literally on the front page).

Comment:

The Comment section has a well-respected tradition of printing cutting-edge opinion pieces from students on a range of Oxford and national issues. Our best debates and opinion pieces are read around the University and online, frequently attracting several thousand hits.

Joining the Comment team also allows you to interview leading political figures and celebrities. In the last term, Cherwell has interviewed Mary Beard, Jeremy Paxman, Richard Dawkins and Slavoj Žižek.

If you’re passionate about a subject and want to share your views and spark debate, join us. You can be a Deputy Comment Editor even if you haven’t written for us before – Deputy Comment Editors are intended to form a permanent core of reliable writers which can called upon regularly to write for the section. If you just want to write on an ad hoc basis as a contributor there’s no need to fill out a form, just email [email protected].

Life:

The Life hosts a number of Cherwell’s most popular features, including our Letter from Abroad and the (in)famous Blind Date.

We also have a Food & Drink page, which you can additionally apply to edit, or to write for. It features a wide variety of reviews and recipes. If you want to review college meals, bars or restaurants, this is place to look.

Deputy Life Editors are intended to form a permanent core of reliable writers which can called upon regularly to write for the section. If you just want to write on an ad hoc basis as a contributor there’s no need to fill out a form, just email [email protected].

Investigations:

We are extremely proud of our Investigations section, otherwise known as C+. This is where some of the most in-depth, investigative journalism is done, tackling some of the biggest issues in Oxford today. This term, C+ has investigated, amongst other things, Oxford’s access problem, sexual assault in Oxford, and inter-college disparity. If you want to test the waters of investigative life before becoming completely in charge of it, apply for Deputy Investigations Editor.

Culture:

Culture is our largest section, with pages dedicated to Film & TV, Stage, Music, Books & Lit, and Photo & Art. We’re one of the first ports of call for reviews of all the student plays, as well as all the other cultural delights which Oxford offers.

If you’d like to edit the whole Culture section, or any of the Film & TV, Stage, Music, Books & Lit or Photo & Art pages, please fill in the Section Editor form. If you would just like to contribute to Culture occasionally, there’s no need to fill in a form — please just email [email protected] expressing your interest.

Fashion:

Our Fashion section has gone from strength to strength this term. If you want to organise weekly photoshoots, or you’ve got opinions on fashion and fancy being the next Sartorialist, this is the section for you.

Deputy Fashion Editors are intended to form a permanent core of reliable writers which can called upon regularly to write for the section and to help with the weekly fashion shoots. If you just want to write on an ad hoc basis as a contributor there’s no need to fill out a form, just email [email protected].

Sport:

We report on many major sporting occasions in Oxford – whether your interest is rugby, swimming or lacrosse, there are opportunities for objective analysis of the big games, or not-so-objective match reports from those involved in college matches. Get involved with the Sport section to continue this trend and expand high quality coverage to other sporting fields.

Apply to be a Deputy Sport Editor if you would like to be part of a permanent team of reliable writers which can called upon regularly to write for the section. If you just want to write on an ad hoc basis as a contributor you don’t need to fill out a form, just email [email protected].

Broadcasting:

Our Broadcasting section has produced fantastic content over the last term, from the our weekly news round up to investigating Jury’s Inn Hotel and underwater polo in Oxford. If you have experience in production and editing, or are just keen to learn, then apply to join the broadcasting team.