Former US presidential candidate Bernie Sanders is coming to Oxford

The ex-Democrat presidential candidate will speak at the Sheldonian for a book launch

The former US Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders is coming to Oxford for a book launch.

The US senator, who was beaten by Hillary Clinton for the Democrat nomination last year, will speak at the Sheldonian Theatre to promote the paperback edition of his bestselling book on his failed presidential bid.

The event will be chaired by Helena Kennedy, the Principal of Mansfield College.

Sanders is not new to Oxford, as his brother, Larry, lives in the East of the city. He ran as the Green Party candidate in last year’s by-election in David Cameron’s old seat of Witney, close to Oxford.

The talk is set to be held at 2.30pm and is titled ‘Our Revolution: A Future to Believe in’ – the slogan of his failed presidential bid. Tickets will cost £15.

Sanders was recently confirmed as one of this term’s speakers at the Cambridge Union. However, he did not feature in the Oxford Union’s Trinity term card, leaked exclusively by Cherwell last week.

The talk forms part of a wider literary event – The Hay Festival – to be held in Wales. Festival director Peter Florence is hopeful the left-winger will inspire students and young people attending.

He told the Oxford Mail: “What we hope from Bernie is that he’ll galvanize young people like he did in America. The way he’s working to interrogate every stupid bill in the Senate is heroic and essential. He’s a model opposition leader.”

Waterstones will be selling books after Sanders’ visit.

Tickets can be purchased at hayfestival.org or by calling 01497 822 629.