Watch: Theresa May confronted by angry voter on visit to Oxford

Theresa May was confronted by an angry voter, Cathy, over disability cuts on a visit to Oxfordshire today

Theresa May was tackled by an angry voter over disability cuts on a visit to Oxfordshire today.

Cathy, who has learning difficulties, took on the Prime Minister in a walkabout in Abingdon, just south of Oxford.

She said she wanted her Disability Living Allowance back, telling the PM: “The fat cats keep the money and us lot get nothing!”

The Disability Living Allowance (DLA) was scrapped by the Tories in 2016, and replaced with Personal Independence Payments (PIP).

Cathy told May: “I haven’t got a carer at the moment and I’m angry. And I would like somebody to help me because I can’t do everything I want to do.”

The PM tried to respond to her questioning: “Cathy, we’re doing a number of things.  Let me tell you just one thing…”

But Cathy was quick to respond. “I can’t live on £100 a month,” she said.

The video, captured by the 5 News reporter, has been shared widely on social media.

Theresa May was campaigning alongside Nicola Blackwood, who is the incumbent Conservative candidate for Oxford West and Abingdon, a seat which contains a minority of Oxford colleges.

The Prime Minister spent the day in Oxfordshire, starting out speaking to workers at a technology firm in Cowley.

She later visited Abingdon Market, where she met Cathy and a succession of other voters. It follows criticism that May has avoided meeting members of the public during the election campaign.

Cathy is not the first incensed member of the public to confront a party leader in Oxfordshire. Recently, Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron went face to face with Brexit voter Malcolm Baker in Kidlington. He accused Farron of thinking all Leave voters were “racist”.