Oxford named best university in the world for second year running

Oxford beats Cambridge to stay on top in the Times Higher Education world rankings

Oxford University has consolidated its place at the top of the Times Higher Education (THE) world rankings, fending off its historic rival Cambridge.

Oxford came first in the rankings for the second year running, with Cambridge rising from fourth to second. It is the first time that two UK institutions have come first and second in the rankings.

The two universities were followed by the California Institute of Technology, Stanford University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

Oxford vice-chancellor Louise Richardson said: “I am delighted that Oxford has held its position at the top of these global rankings. Success in our field is never an accident; it is achieved by a relentless pursuit of excellence, creative brilliance and a deep commitment to our enduring values.

“To be judged the best university in the world for the second successive year, against the backdrop in which Britain’s role in the world is uncertain, and the place of universities in society open to question, will be a great source of pride for everyone at Oxford, and, I hope, for the whole country.”

Further down the list was Imperial College London in eighth, UCL in 16th and LSE in 25th. Overall, the UK saw 31 of its institutions feature in the top 200.

THE uses 13 different performance indicators to produce the rankings, grouped into five different areas: teaching, research, citations, internationalism, and industry income.

The Top Ten

1 – Oxford University
2 – Cambridge University
3 – California Institute of Technology
3 – Stanford University
5 – Massachusetts Institute of Technology
6 – Harvard University
7 – Princeton University
8 – Imperial College London
9 – University of Chicago
10 – ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology

Second-year PPEist Sam Wycherley said: “It’s nice to have Oxford on top, but I wouldn’t put too much faith in the impartiality of a newspaper staffed largely by Oxford grads.”