Univ to end Oxford ‘spotty neek’ stereotype by introducing skincare reps

JCR votes to appoint 'skincare reps'

University College is set to elect two skincare representatives, after a motion establishing the position was passed at their last JCR meeting.

The motion stated that the representatives, who will be given positions on the general committee, will be introduced to cater for student “skincare, shaving, grooming and general cellular wellbeing”.

The motion was proposed by Francis Kerrigan and seconded by Anjelica Smerin. They felt it was necessary to help “banish the stereotype of ‘the spotty neek’ for Oxford”. They argued this was particularly problematic as exam season approaches and skin issues worsen. Elections will be held in seventh week.

The reps’ responsibilities range from spreading awareness of “issues surrounding pores, hydration and chapped lips” to weekly livestream videos to discuss “grooming regimes, face masks, shaving, and moisturising.”

Smerin claimed such videos had been popular in the past, with rumours that the first one will deal with the controversies surrounding chemical exfoliation.

The motion was amended to make sure the videos are recorded and saved rather than livestreamed to ensure that they are permanently accessible for students.

Kerrigan and Smerin have also promised to provide skincare consultations, and have stated “Kerrigan and Smerin Skincare Ltd Common Room Representatives reserves the right for any elected individual to be dismissed”, should they themselves deem the representative incapable of carrying out this role.