Blind Date: “I found out I was unintentionally sharking”

Alberico Santiano and Kitty Horsfall make it through a "strained" brunch

Kitty Horsfall First Year, English Merton College

We were both very prompt arriving at the Queen’s Lane Coffee House, and were soon perusing the extensive menu. We breezed through the standard chat of tutor horror stories, extracurricular activities (Ultimate Frisbee for him, Cellar for me), and hometown tales. For a man battling through after a night in Fever (where apparently the man playing the bongos next to the DJ isn’t a regular feature???), Alby was surprisingly chirpy to begin with. However, this dwindled as the date went on and towards the end, conversation became a bit strained – this was not helped by the waiter taking our picture turning out to be a photography enthusiast. Overall, it was a pleasant brunch, but I couldn’t help feeling his heart wasn’t fully in it, much like his appetite wasn’t feeling the Full English.

First impression?

Very fresh-faced.

Quality of the chat?

6.7/10.

Most awkward moment?

One of the first songs he’d ever heard was by Iggy Azealia.

Kiss or miss?

Miss.

Alberico Santiano Third Year, Engineering Wadham

We met for brunch at Queen’s Lane Coffee House at 11am, unfortunately I’d overdone it slightly with the Crofters and VKs the night before and was definitely feeling it. Kitty’s opening line of ‘did you go out last night?’, was perhaps an indication I wasn’t disguising my hangover as well as I thought I was. Luckily, Kitty was fairly talkative and helped steer the conversation to avoid too many awkward silences, the only major one being after she professed her love for Cellar. Despite the date going fairly well overall, I think we had very different reasons for signing up; one of my friends kindly ‘volunteered’ me for the date owing to my “lack of dating experience”, whatever that means. I had quite a good time, but unfortunately there wasn’t enough of a connection to warrant a second date.

First impression?

Her lopsided hoodie suggested this was only a brief break from the library.

Quality of the chat?

Not as dry as the crofters.

Most awkward moment?

When I found out I was unintentionally sharking.

Kiss or miss?

Miss.