Blues stung by angry Wasps

Although rumours of an appearance by legendary France flanker Serge Betsen proved to be unfounded, Iffley sports ground was still buzzing with excitement as a bumper crowd anticipated the first high profile fixture of the Blues season against a Wasps side lacking any real household names.

The Blues, playing in their change strip of white shirts, blue shorts and red socks were slow to start and seemed to struggle against some crisp passing from a confident Wasps side. The first real cheer from the crowd came after only five minutes when a scuffle involving a couple of players from either side resulted in Blues forward Stuart Greef having to change his shirt, which had been torn almost to shreds in the commotion.

However, this small break in play provided little respite for the seemingly overwhelmed Blues as some powerful Wasps midfield play released the impressive Jacob Wilson, who went over to score in the corner. Wasps 13 Elliot Daly missed the resulting conversion.
The Blues replied almost instantly to register their first points of the match, as Charlie Marr began what was to be an impeccable evening with the boot scoring a long-range penalty. The huge roar from the crowd which greeted the sight of the ball sailing over the posts seemed to breathe new life into what had thus far been a lethargic Blues performance. However it was not long before a dominant Wasps scrum and further powerful midfield play began to pile the pressure on a Blues backline, which was aided only by some impressive last ditch tackling.

One of the key differences between the two sides was the quality of pass: Wasps assured and confident, Oxford nervous and fumbling. It was from a loose ball in midfield that Wasps were to score their second try. Some quick work following an interception released the ever-dangerous Wilson who was stopped on the line only for Jonah Holmes to force his way through. At this stage Wasps were running riot.

This score was followed up by more panicky play with the Blues defence parting like the red sea as Holmes slipped in to score a quick second. The omens were not looking good for Blues and it seemed that Wasps would soon disappear over the horizon.

If Blues were to get back into the match then it seemed that a score before half time was essential, and the biggest cheer of the night came when Oxford full back James Crozier finished off after some good work in the corner. Marr kept up his 100% record by guiding over a conversion from what seemed a near impossible angle. The impetus now seemed to be with Blues, who trailed 29-10 at half time.

Any hopes of a stunning second-half revival were effectively ended merely seconds into the second half, as Wasps’ Will Matthews intercepted in midfield to score with relative ease. Unfortunately Elliot Daly did not fair quite so well with the boot as he could only hit the post with his attempted conversion. He more than made up for that miss by scoring what proved to be the try of the night. Just as it looked as though Oxford pressure on the Wasps line might result in a try for the Blues, Daly seized on a loose pass before running the length of the field to score. His effort merely emphasized the superior fitness and anticipation of an experienced Wasps team.

A late rally from the Blues saw them reduce the deficit to a respectable 29-53 in what proved to be an enjoyable game of rugby.

Whilst the difference in fitness of the two teams was evident throughout the game, it must be remembered that this was the Blues’ first home outing of the season and it will take a while to integrate the new players into the team and ensure that they are on top of their game.

The result marks the first in a series of high-profile matches for Oxford who face Cardiff Blues in two weeks’ time and then enjoy visits from other Premiership sides Saracens and Sale later on this term. Details of all fixtures can be found on the OURFC website.