From the player’s mouth

JCR Rugby First Division

Teddy Hall 27

Brasenose 5

Another Tuesday, another player controversy, with last minute phone calls to OURFC headquarters checking the eligibility of “the other Brasenose Blues fly-half”. BNC flew out of the blocks, with a well-worked try in the corner almost immediately. However, this was all that would come their way, despite firm control in the midfield for the first quarter. Teddy Hall began to warm up into the game as the first half progressed, with this gradual improvement amounting to a try in the corner due to a solid drive from the pack. The boot of Angus Eames, however, failed to hit the mark for the extras – perhaps due to the presence of his overbearing girlfriend on the touchline? As the half-time whistle grew nearer, the dangerous BNC backs continued to pose a threat to the Hall tryline, but the last-ditch tackling proved enough to keep them out.

The second half proved much the same, and BNC became frustrated. Number 10 Charlie Millar and the pack started to gain a firm grip on the match, forcing errors from BNC who were running out of ideas. As usual, Roland McFall proved a crucial influence on the Hall win, often battering his way through the first line of defence to set up his outside backs. There was bad news though, as crucial Hall player Rich Collins had to leave the field with a nasty shoulder injury. Injuries had mounted steadily throughout the game and BNC were left with no Number 8 for the last half an hour. This one-man deficit proved crucial as Hall turned the screw, with Eames on the end of a well-worked overlap for another try on the hour, just after Captain Tom Sanders had added to his own personal tally. With the score at 20-5, Hall looked firmly in control. With one last drive in the corner they made yards quickly and Number 9 Henry Dunn found himself over the line on top of the ball.

With a score of 27-5, Teddy Hall once again ran out confident winners, taking a bonus point with them to firmly mark their place at the top of Oxford Premiership Rugby.

Henry Dunn

JCR Rugby Second Division

Christ Church 7

St Peters 0

Christ Church continued their winning start to the season with a determined display at home against St Peter’s this Tuesday. The House started brightly, earning a penalty within the first few minutes but were unable to capitalise with regular kicker Ben Anderson unable to take on the kicking duties. Christ Church were starved of possession and the number of tackles was beginning to take its toll, with Robbie ‘relegation’ Douglas taking a 10 minute blood-sub with a bloody nail. Sam Martin also came off with what he described as a “sore bottom” and this led to a cameo role for JCR President and officially retired player Matt Barrett.

When Christ Church got some ball their forwards were making good yards, with ‘Crippo’ in particular making some strong runs from the base of the scrum. After a period of good possession, winger Timothy Hoolahan, who himself was returning to rugby after trying out for the Golf and Netball teams, eventually went over in the corner, Oliver Birch adding the conversion to give Christ Church a 7-0 lead. There were no points scored in a nervous second half, with St Peter’s applying good pressure to the Christ Church defence, despite the abuse of Tom Morris. The House ground out another victory and continue their push for promotion back to the top division under the guidance of Director-of-Rugby Bradshaw.

Chris Whitehouse

JCR Football Reserves Second Division

Somerville II 2

LMH II 1

Let it not be said that the Cherwell sport section only focuses on the glamorous side of sport in Oxford. Of course there is a focus on the Blues playing Wasps and the excitement of the Octopush society, but there is still space to cover the drama of the JCR Reserve Second Division. On a cold but clear afternoon, not quite the best that Somerville could offer faced up against not quite the best LMH could offer.

As soon as 11 players from each team had managed to find their way to the pitch the game kicked off. During the tentative opening exchanges Somerville gradually took control of the game – marshalled in the centre of midfield by the experienced presence of Jig Plowright, who performed well despite controversy over whether he was in fact a member of the JCR. Somerville’s dominance was soon rewarded as Andy Ormerod-Cloke curled a delightful shot in off the crossbar to put his side one up. Somerville continued to press and should have scored a second after some strong work from the industrious Sam Newton presented Bruno Bainsfair with an open goal just six yards out. To the disbelief of everyone, however, Bainsfair, a veteran of the Somerville second team, contrived to completely miss the ball with a wild swing, tumble dejectedly into the net and watch as the ball was cleared away to safety.

LMH gained confidence from this let-off and were soon level, capitalising on some hesitancy in the Somerville back line to score. In the second half LMH continued to press but were unable to create many clear cut chances, largely due to some erratic and not at all biased refereeing. However, against the run of play Somerville broke to score the winner. Tom Varley lifted over an inviting cross at which the much maligned Bainsfair made a desperate leap. To the surprise of everyone, no doubt including himself, he managed to direct a superb, looping header over the LMH keeper and into the far corner. Somerville captain, the self-titled Nathaniel ‘Nate Dogg’ Jowitt, made sure his team kept their defensive discipline over the last few nervy minutes, ensuring an excellent victory.

Ralph Turner