Oxford’s Best: Burger

The world loves the cheeseburger. I love the cheeseburger. Macdonald’s has even written an ode to the Big Mac. Finding Oxford’s best burger was a challenge I gladly took on.

The world loves the cheeseburger. I love the cheeseburger. Macdonald’s has even written an ode to the Big Mac.  Finding Oxford’s “best” burger was a challenge I gladly took on.
For those prolific penny pinchers, Peppe’s Burgers of Jericho is the way to go. A quarter pounder costs a mere £2.90, and includes two free sauces, lettuce and onion. I splurged for the cheese, an additional thirty pence. The portions are vast and sloppy, unassuming and yummy, though I wish they were assuming enough to give you napkins. Serviettes were inexplicably absent from the establishment.
If you want a cheap alternative that’ll make you look less of an outright cheapskate, Four Candles’ “beer and burger” deal is always a favourite.  The burger is a bit dry but a good size, and it comes with a drink and chips, so no reason to hate. Still, I’d say it’s best eaten when extremely hungry. Goes down easier.
Willing to spend more on your burger? The Gourmet Burger Kitchen offers an aura of class to the experience, but it’s hardly to my taste. Chips must be bought separately and they serve salads as mains—where’s their beefy integrity? The burgers are tasty, but too pricey for their diminutive and oddly demure nature. 
If your date, friend, or grandmother, believes that burgers are meant to be fun and messy in the best way, take them to Atomic Burger on Cowley Road. The service reached ungodly levels of slow and the prices of their kitschy and artery-clogging classics like the “Dead Elvis” burger are a little extravagant, but the atmosphere is fab. The walls are covered with comic books and movie paraphernalia. The burgers are imbued with personality and come with a free side. The patties are hand packed and there are five flavours of Margaritas on the menu. Win. 

For those prolific penny-pinchers, Peppe’s Burgers of Jericho is the way to go. A quarter pounder costs a mere £2.90, and includes two free sauces, lettuce and onion. I splurged for the cheese, an additional thirty pence. The portions are vast and sloppy, unassuming and yummy, though I wish they were assuming enough to give you napkins. Serviettes were inexplicably absent from the establishment.

If you want a cheap alternative that’ll make you look less of an outright cheapskate, Four Candles’ ‘beer and burger’ deal is always a favourite.  The burger is a bit dry but a good size, and it comes with a drink and chips, so no reason to hate. Still, I’d say it’s best eaten when extremely hungry. Goes down easier.

If your date, friend, or grandmother, believes that burgers are meant to be fun and messy in the best way, take them to Atomic Burger on Cowley Road. The service reached ungodly levels of slow and the prices of their kitschy and artery-clogging classics like the ‘Dead Elvis’ burger are a little extravagant, but the atmosphere is fab. The walls are covered with comic books and movie paraphernalia. The burgers are imbued with personality and come with a free side. The patties are hand packed and there are five flavours of Margaritas on the menu. Win.