Press Preview: Cabaret

In the depths of Oxford’s bitingly cold winter, the cast of Cabaret invite you to join them within the decadent warmth of 1930’s Berlin’s Kit Kat Klub. Musicals are always a risky (and in this case, risqué) business, and in all fairness to Cabaret, it’s certainly atmospheric- I am informed that a portion of the audience will be invited to sit on stage and offered wine. Unfortunately when the cast begin cajoling the audience to sing along, the effect was cheapened slightly due to a distinct lack of enthusiasm and participation, and I wonder if Sabi’s penchant for breaking the fourth wall has not been properly thought through. Granted, with a bigger audience the whole thing might have been less uncomfortable, but as it stood it was pretty agonising. 

Of course, Cabaret is a musical that is designed to incite discomfort. The sexual decadence and Nazi themes were certainly out in full force in this interpretation; with the former being utilized to great comic effect. However, it did strike me that too often sensuality was sacrificed for overbearing vulgarity. Additionally, the character Emcee tended to oscillate between the asexual film version and hypersexualized character present in numerous stage productions, and I rather wish Sabi had made his mind up. Cliff was similarly unconvincing, lacking the enigmatic writer’s charisma that would surely be needed to hook Sally. Her character, masterfully presented by Alice Pearse, was easily the strongest aspect of the piece thanks to excellent comedic timing and a powerful singing voice.

In short, the innovative directorial ambition behind this version of the musical is laudable in its attempt to truly immerse one in the seediness of the Kit Kat Klub,  but it is ultimately  let down by lack of commitment and weak performances. This is not to say that sitting at the cabaret tables of the O’Reilly, you are unlikely to enjoy yourself; the effect might be quite different on opening night, with the adrenalin rush and atmosphere of a real crowd hopefully giving Cabaret the boost it needs. 

3 STARS