Style on the Street: New York City

Having long mastered the art of people watching, I set out to traverse the boundary of socially acceptable conduct by stalking, approaching, talking to and photographing strangers. The iconic Street Style bloggers ‘The Sartorialist’ and ‘Garance Doré’ had made it look so glamorous, but somewhat lacking in their status and the swarm of desperate fans that stand outside fashion week shows in a nonchalant manner in the hope of them passing by, it was I, the ‘photographer’, who was forced to loiter around street corners, playing the waiting game.

Arrived in New York for a four-day stay, the city was ablaze with a forty-degree heat wave that lead to some sweaty, uncoordinated wardrobe choices, doing very little to endorse my proclaimed association with a newspaper’s fashion column. I also soon found out that street style photography is a one [wo]man job. My male travel companion berated my refusal to approach a girl ‘dressed’ in a bikini top and gold lycra shorts, dashing his hopes of acquiring her number. He was also less than pleased that we had missed the Guggenheim. We had been there in good time, but I had insisted on standing outside the entrance for an hour and a half in the hope of finding some suitable subjects. In an interview with Style.com, Garance Doré made the comparison between the activity of street style shooting and that of hunting, and I very much got that sense after just one day. It soon becomes a frantic yet addictive search through crowds as you become impatient, and it can be extremely frustrating when nothing materializes. 

New York, of course, is a crucible of style and individuality and I was not lacking in material.  From Manhattan to Brooklyn to Harlem, I sensed a sort of confidence that people had in their own outfits, and indeed in their skin, that I had never before experienced. Unlike in Paris, I saw no uniformity or tendencies in what people were wearing, and that is the most striking thing about New York fashion. Everyone seems to possess such a willingness to experiment with mismatched trends and vintage finds, with their poise and conviction allowing them to pull it off. Here are a few of my favourite New York looks…

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%5782%%[/mm-hide-text]

Rachel, 21, outside the New Museum of Contemporary Art.
I loved Rachel’s boyish trouser/brogue combination, paired with the beautifully tailored, monochrome shirt. She perfectly pulls off the androgynous summertime look with the right amount feminine details found in the sunglasses and bag.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%5783%%[/mm-hide-text]

Carrie, 23, snapped outside ‘Opening Ceremony’. 
They say that you can spot a real New Yorker by the fact that she’ll be wearing jeans in summer. Carrie takes this one step further in her choice of footwear: suede brown boots. Perfectly composed with no signs of the heat, I liked the festival feel of her outfit with the inclusion of a tribal necklace. 

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%5784%%[/mm-hide-text]

Rachel, 27, outside the MoMa.
Rachel exemplifies the confidence found in many New Yorkers by her brave choice of striped trousers. The black and tan tones are classic and don’t distract from the main piece. I loved the classic gold bangle and black floppy hat combination. 

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%5785%%[/mm-hide-text]

Samantha, 23, snapped waiting for a friend in Manhattan.
Samantha’s outfit epitomizes the daring found in New Yorkers’ fashion choices. I loved her bold use of layering and the mix of colours. The oversized clutch is a lovely addition, allowing her to fully show off her beautiful outfit. 

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%5786%%[/mm-hide-text]
[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%5787%%[/mm-hide-text]

Dylan, 21, Bedford Avenue. 
Dylan’s outfit exemplifies casual chic with the pairing of khaki tailored trousers and a casual cotton striped t-shirt. I adore his leather bag and shoes.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%5788%%[/mm-hide-text]

Jane, 28, Bedford Avenue.
Jane told me she had just come out of her yoga class and it really showed. It wasn’t that her outfit was particularly eye catching or unique, but it was something about the way she was wearing it that attracted my attention. I loved the very French mix of tan, blue and straw and the whole outfit is very effortlessly chic.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%5789%%[/mm-hide-text]

Marta, 22, Morgan Avenue.
I had a long conversation with Marta as I bought a dress from her wardrobe clear-out stall, a popular motif in Brooklyn’s streets on a Sunday. She had just moved from Germany and was working as a fashion journalist due to her love of New York’s sartorial open mindedness. I adore her dainty lace shirt paired with a canary yellow skirt.