‘Rate Your Shag’ Oxford site scrapped

An Oxford University ‘Rate Your Shag’ page was taken down within 12 hours of  being set up on Facebook.

This was part of a craze that swept the nation earlier in the week – with as many as 8000 people Liking the Newcastle University ‘Rate Your Shag’ Page.

Posts consisted of a rating out of 10, the name of the “shagged’ and any general comments, whilst the name of the person giving the rating was able to remain anonymous.

Liam Burns, the President of the National Union of Students described it as “tantamount to bullying.”

Facebook removed many of the pages, claiming that they were in breach of their community. A spokesman said “We do not tolerate bullying or harassment. We allow users to speak freely on matters and people of public interest, but take action on all reports of abusive behaviour directed at private individuals.”

However it remains unclear whether the Oxford University page was removed by its administrators, or by Facebook itself. The administrators have not identified themselves, or commented on the reaction. The company was warned by lawyers that it could face legal action if it failed to act.

At least one such Facebook page – ‘Rate Your Shag’ – still exists. It has 232 likes, despite being only a day old at the time of writing.

Some Oxford students expressed their disapproval of such sites. One student, who wished to remain anonymous, referred to the users of such sites as “c*nts”. Another student conjectured that the ‘shags’ described had probably been made up, and expressed relief that it had been taken down so quickly.