Recipe of the Week: ¡Enchiladas!

This is the kind of recipe you can definitely play around with to make your own perfect version, or to avoid having to go buy ingredients specifically.  Here I’ve put my method to make them, and I hope you like it as much as I do.

What You Need:
4 flour tortillas
200ml crème fraîche
250g mixed cheeses, grated (I’d suggest cheddar, mozzarella, or Wensleydale)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 medium green chilli (very optional)
1 red onion, peeled and chopped
2 handfuls fresh coriander, chopped
1 lime
Salt and pepper

Method:

1) Preheat your oven to 180°C and start your salsa by sieving your tomatoes over a bowl to separate the excess liquid.  Remove the stalk and seeds from the chilli, mince, and place in a bowl with half of the chopped onion, the drained tomatoes, and the coriander leaves.  Juice your lime and add this, along with salt and pepper for seasoning, and mix well.

2) Put a clean, dry frying pan on a high heat and fry your tortillas one at a time for six seconds on each side.  Then spread about a quarter of the salsa, a generous tablespoon of cheese, and a tablespoon of crème fraîche onto each one, making sure not to use up all of any of these.  Roll them up and stick them all on a baking tray, making sure that the visible edge is facing up.

3) Cover the enchiladas with the leftover salsa, crème fraîche, and cheese, along with the rest of the red onion, and bake for half an hour.  Garnish with coriander if you’re feeling fancy and eat quick – they don’t keep long and they’re better hot.