David Lammy: “You cannot describe Oxford as an inclusive environment”

Labour MP David Lammy tells Will Dry why he’s taking on Oxford’s “exclusive” application process, and how students should help

Photo: UK Parliament

David Lammy is a lighthouse in British politics: he seeks out rocky outcrops of injustice, where he sees the elite failing the people, and brings them into the light of public scrutiny. He labelled the Grenfell fire a “monstrous crime” and “corporate manslaughter” in the days after the tragedy. The most recent injustice at which he has directed his fire is the “systemic institutional issues” at the heart of our own university’s admissions policy.

“You cannot describe Oxford in any sense as an inclusive environment that reflects our country,” he tells me. “It’s more exclusive than the House of Commons in terms of social background and diversity, or the room for criminal barristers at the Old Bailey.”

He is speaking to Cherwell shortly after a series of freedom of information requests he submitted revealed the extent of elitism in Oxford’s application process. Namely: that in the years 2010-15, 82% of Oxford’s students came from the top two social classes, that Oxford makes more offers to five of the home counties than it does to the entirety of the North of England, and that 13 Oxford colleges did not make a single offer to a black A-level applicant.

Many of those defending the university in the media since these revelations surfaced have argued that diversity would come at the cost of lower standards.

But Lammy is not entertaining this possibility. “Let’s not even have a debate about lowering standards. There are young people who are able to go to Oxford on the grades that they have.”

For now, he believes the debate should centre on how Oxford is reaching those young people. He believes Oxford should be “actively writing to the students who are getting outstanding A*s in GCSEs: ‘Please come to us, please apply, you can come for free.’”

Lammy, who attended Harvard, highlights how the majority of this year’s intake at the prestigious American institution will be non-white. This makes him “conscious of what is possible… the truth is in America the schools are considerably worse than they are in the UK. And yet, Harvard and Yale reflect America to a much greater extent than Oxford and Cambridge.”

To drive the point home, he brings up the issue that one suspects will remain closest to his heart for the rest of his life. “A child who is on the twenty-second floor of Grenfell Tower, who is, despite all the disadvantages of school, the disadvantages of parenthood, the disadvantages of space to revise, who gets one A* and two As, is probably brighter than the child who gets three A*s at Eton.”

His simple message – that children who have the talent should be given the opportunity – has resonated across the political spectrum. Even Michael Gove tweeted that he “<3 David Lammy”, and agreed that blame shifting should be sidelined to end this inequality.

Related  Anger at "unacceptable" Weinstein bop costume

In some of Lammy’s fiercest remarks, he told me that Oxford “should be leading the debate about access and social mobility, not hiding under the bushes, reluctant to hand out data, reluctant to be transparent and instinctively blaming schools and educational inequality for the problem that they have.”

Regardless of your interpretation of the facts, it is indisputable that Oxford should regularly publish their data. Behind the worrying figures is the less headline-grabbing but equally sinister story of Oxford administrators attempting to block Lammy’s investigation at every opportunity.

Lammy described the university as “aggressively resistant” to giving him the data, and when it finally did agree to, after being informed that The Guardian was planning on publishing a story on it, they presented it in such an unintelligible fashion it took plenty of hard work to interpret the results.

Students, he believes, can “play a really, really important role” in fixing the issue. The exceptional colleges that buck the trend – Mansfield and Somerville, among a few others – do so because they have “student officers really obsessed with the issue of getting access to these young people.”

One could infer that Lammy believes students at Oriel and Teddy Hall – where just one and two black British A-level students respectively have been admitted in the last six years – could become a little more “obsessed.”

But in the grand scheme of things, these social justice warriors face insurmountable barriers. Lammy believes the basic problem lies within the college system. “A college-based admission system will always mitigate against progress in this area. Centralised faculties have to recruit so that you do not get the disparity across colleges.”

Within the Oxford bubble, transferring the responsibility of recruitment from colleges to faculty is an almost unthinkable revolution.

Just last week, Louise Richardson was hounded by various college academics for  suggesting that the processing of taxi receipts, among other back office functions, could be centralised to save money.

To erode what many believe to be the lifeblood of a college’s autonomy, its ability to recruit who it wants, is bound to create a fierce backlash from some of Oxford’s more trenchant dons.

On Brexit, Lammy is similarly scathing of the Tory government which he believes is attempting to “hijack our democracy.”

“The people were sold Brexit on the basis that we would be taking back control. We are now seeing an attempt to hide the impact assessments that the government has done and not reveal them to the general public, and to thwart the democratic sovereignty of our parliament by not giving parliament a proper meaningful vote before the deal.”

Related  Rees Mogg is wrong, religion has no place in politics

This, and the government’s refusal to publish its Brexit impact assessments, amounts to what Lammy believes are “dictatorial attempts to thwart democracy, which will only split this country apart even further”.

“It’s clear that nothing that is now coming out of the government suggests that this is in the national interest of our country. We’ve moved a long way from the sunlit uplands of this is going to be easy, the EU is going to be begging us for a trade deal, the world is going to be begging us for a trade deal.”

Lammy believes that students can play a pivotal role in resist such ‘dictatorial’ attempts. They must “resist, resist resist. Protest, campaign, write – make it clear that you will not vote for parties that are intent on Brexit.”

Two days after the referendum, Lammy did his own resisting on Twitter, stating that parliament should ignore the referendum result – out of step with the front bench of his party.

He does, however, optimistically note that “the Labour Party is travelling on the issue of Brexit… Labour is an internationalist party, and it’s working people who will suffer as a consequence of leaving the European Union. I would hope that our front bench position continues to evolve.”

The bulk of backbenchers, on both sides of the aisle, who believe in their heart of hearts that this policy goes against the country’s national interest, are very slowly creeping towards the position Lammy reached just two days after the referendum.

His message to those MPs is: “Put our country first. Put our country first. Be brave and courageous about what is in the national interest of our country.

For a man who has pitted himself against those responsible for the Grenfell tragedy, against what he sees as outdated admissions practices at the country’s finest university, and against a government – and potentially even electorate – insistent upon us leaving the EU whatever the cost, Lammy clearly does not check the odds before picking his battles.

His source of inspiration and hope in these fights is the millennials – “a fantastic generation”. He is less affectionate towards baby boomers “who basically heated up the world and gave us climate change, spent too much money and gave us the 2008 crash, and now seem to be giving us a populism.”

It remains to be seen whether our generation will resist the “bumpy decade” of “reactionism” and “xenophobia” that Lammy believes the UK is in for.

Lammy’s optimism for the UK, and his own career, is grounded in the gamble that us millennials will give him a helping hand in the fights ahead. A proactive group of Oxford students might not be a bad bunch to start with.

1 COMMENT

1. What a bizarre hagiography of this total dimwit David Lammy. He would rather focus on getting incompetents into Oxford, than the much harder work of tackling black on black knife/gun/drugs crime, single mothers raising several kids, crackheads being dealt drugs by 15 year olds, etc in his Tottenham constituency.

Oxford is a highly inclusive environment that reflects the intellectual cream of the country, which is not the same thing as the country as a whole.

As a brown skinned Oxford graduate, I always knew that I had won my place based on academic excellence and the very question I was there on some sort of bogus affirmative active could only have been considered preposterous.

The majority of non-white students at Harvard that dimwit Lammy trumpets are Chinese/Indian origin students. In fact, there is heavy discrimination *against* Chinese American students at Harvard. Just Google “Chinese Harvard lawsuit”.

This itself is clear proof that the only demonstrable anti-BME discrimination is against Chinese/Indian students who work their behinds off to outperform their (generally) lazier classmates (of all ethnic groups) who (generally) do not have the same desire and hunger to succeed.

With regard to the new propaganda line about Afro-Caribbean students with top grades still failing to get into Oxford, please note that many of these “top grades” are in joke subjects such as Drama, Social studies etc.

Dimwit Lammy should leave the Grenfell tragedy out of this discussion. But his moronic point about kids in council estates vs public school kids is also disproven by the experience of British Jewry. Most of these Jews escaped severe persecution under the Russian Tsars, forced to live in remote villages, and victims of frequent deadly pogroms. By contrast, a 1950s immigrant from India or Jamaica could not even imagine what horrors these Jews experienced as they arrived in the UK with barely the scraps on their shoulders. And yet, from the lowest poverty, they quickly (through extreme hard work and love of learning) raised themselves to the highest heights.

If anyone didn’t give the Jews a place in their company etc, they didn’t act like whinging cry babies. Instead, they set up their own business and quickly overtook the bigots! So someone please tell dimwit Lammy to tell his constituents to stop all street based criminal activities in his constituency and start working twice as hard as everyone else.

Interesting to note that dimwit Lammy wants to end Oxford’s millennium old collegiate application system. Are Cherwell writers incapable of defending it? Very disappointing to observe that it seems not. Is it only “trenchant dons” that would defend it?

Oxford degrees are a valuable currency and should not be diminished in value.

With a centralised admission system within a state controlled universities system, dimwit Lammy and his ilk would seize control of it (eg by threatening to remove funding or changing tax status) and fill the place with SJW obsessed dimwits otherwise unable to compete on a level playing field. Oxford degrees would gradually become worthless trash, a bit like how getting AAA in A-Level is no longer in any way considered a mark of outstanding academic achievement as it once was.

LMAO at dimwit Lammy accusing others of “dictatorial attempts to thwart democracy which will only split this country apart even further”.

And which “proactive group of Oxford students” plans to give Lammy a hand? In previous generations, such people could afford to wreck the UK education system, eg with the neo-Communist comprehensive system that makes it harder for bright kids to rise up as they are surrounded by stupidos (as opposed to other bright kids raising each other up). The rest of the world was so backward that there was no pressure on Europe to work harder.

But the days of being able to wreck the UK with misguided social engineering are over.

30 years ago, the Chinese were all riding bicycles around Shanghai and the words “Made in China” were a joke. Today, those days are long gone, these people in China and elsewhere are working twice as hard as British people, and the brightest kids are rising to the top and pulling the entire society upwards.

Meanwhile, fanatic UK Leftists want to put in 30 hour working weeks, 2 year maternity leave, wildcat strikes, mass immigration of illiterates from the most strife ridden, superstitious and quite frankly savage countries on earth, new nationalisations, obsessed with binding the UK to the rotten corpse of the EU, and now even trying to force incompetents into Oxford.

Beware, for the UK may soon be eaten alive if this continues.