Trying to ‘Feaster’ ethically

The Easter Weekend is now focused on the wrong things

Source: pxhere.com

Easter, now that I feel a bit too old to hunt around the garden for chocolates, has become a food-orientated event. Yet large companies have made Easter festivities and eggs seem a bit hollow (get it) when I think of all of the packaging required, all of the trees cut down and all of the metal foil used to present chocolate in a different shape just for one, traditionally religious, celebratory day.

Pizza Hut have nicknamed last weekend’s holiday ‘Feaster’, with money-off offers to entice individuals to fill their weekend with a non-traditional pizza alternative. Clever name, but perhaps a marked reflection of how religious holidays are interpreted and, increasingly, twisted into marketing opportunities.

Waitrose, ironically, stocked a ‘Dark Chocolate Avocado Easter Egg’ this year, which was not dairy-free, appealing instead to those who identify with the ‘basic bitch’ image. They’ve successfully jumped onto the band-wagon of the avocado craze, and the famously high-priced food-stuff went swimmingly with the supermarket’s image.

However, the meme of the ‘Vegan Easter Egg’ – the avocado wrapped in Cadbury’s purple foil – points to the becoming-mainstream, better-for-the-planet veganism as a diet which  excludes an individual from a classic chocolate Easter Egg. But the meme’s success shows just how popular the vegan diet has become!

What is a classic Easter meal? Seemingly, lamb. Celebrating spring with Easter chicks, bunnies, and new-born lambs – let’s eat one! I’ve always rather liked the taste of meat, but, increasingly, I’ve really felt conscious and bad about eating it, especially when I now know both how unnecessary meat is for a healthy lifestyle, and how bad for the planet meat-consumption is.

As a person trying to be as plant-based as possible, I’d like to try a vegan hot cross bun recipe around this time of year and I hope it’s as tasty I imagine. Similarly, I’ve found out how to make chocolate from cocoa and cocoa butter – plant-based and completely flexible. (I also want to experiment with adding orange oil or freeze-dried raspberries to it – yum.) These DIY things will take time but that’s what finding and eating great food is all about– the prep and discovery of great ingredients and recipes.

Related  Eating on a roof terrace in the sun

Nevertheless, my Easter lunch this year was not quite vegan – I prepared leeks, peas, salmon, and vegan hasselback garlic and rosemary potatoes. White wine and company made it a very nice occasion, and my mostly-deaf grandmother really enjoyed the food! Whatever you ate, and whatever marketing campaigns you bought into this Easter, I hope everybody had a nice weekend.