Mushy Fees: Not cheap at the price

The unveiling of the government’s controversial plans for funding higher education has infuriated the Oxford University Student Union (OUSU), but has been welcomed by senior University officials. Under the new policy, the poorest students would receive living grants and a reduction in fees. Higher Education institutions meanwhile, would be free to set their own fees, up to a maximum of £3,000 per year. The proposal coincides with the release of OUSU’s ‘Alternative Future of Higher Education’ paper.Tony Blair faces considerable opposition from his own party, and the opposition. Labour MP Eric Illsley is leading the calls for Blair’s resignation over the issue. Former Conservative Party Chairman, and Oxford University Chancellor Chris Patten, however, is supportive of the plans, “If this government fails, then I’d be very worried about the future of universities in this country,” he told Cherwell.Patten’s comments have infuriated the Oxford University Student Union (OUSU), which has consistently campaigned for free higher education, and for fairer reform of university funding. Helena Puig Larrauri, OUSU President, told Cherwell, “There is another alternative for funding Higher Education that is both viable and a better way to make access to university fair.”OUSU’s White Paper, released last week, concludes that raising income tax for the country’s highest earners would provide the funds both to cover the current fee deficit. The paper also proposes grants of £5000 per year for every student.OUSU’s Access and Academic Affairs Officer, Louise McMullan, also expressed grave concerns about the government’s plans, “Grants may soften the blow but they will never persuade students from the poorest background to overcome their fear of debt.”Emma Norris, who works on the OUSU Finance and Funding Committee, added, “The current proposals still mean you’re in a worse position. That is why we are going to lobby MPs at the House of Commons on 21st of this month.”Questioned on OUSU’s proposal, Patten admitted that it was a “highly understandable point of view”, but he still confirmed his support for top-up fees. “My starting point is that all universities face a serious crisis,” he explained, “and there is no obvious evidence that we can resolve it by increasing taxation.” Eric Illsley publicly congratulated OUSU, stating that he was “impressed” with the OUSU paper and expressed his support for the campaign.
The University’s Vice Chancellor Colin Lucas, who has been a prominent advocate for top-up fees in the national press, welcomed the bill. He expressed doubts, however, over whether the introduction of top-up fees would secure the University’s financial future, “the University and its Colleges still face a significant shortfall in the amount it costs to provide the high quality teaching and research for which we are internationally renowned.” Lucas also backed the controversial introduction of differential fees, “We welcome the fact that individual institutions – which are best placed to assess the needs of their students – will be given the freedom to provide a financial support package to meet the particular requirements of their student body.”Oxford University Registrar, David Holmes, cautiously welcomed the plans: “The package is a welcome step towards providing poorer students with essential financial support.”The vote in the House of Commons is set to take place on January 27, presenting a tough test for Prime Minister Tony Blair. Over 150 labour back benchers have signed an Early Day Motion pledging to oppose the Government’s initial proposals which contravene Labour’s 2001 election manifesto.Archive: 0th week HT 2004