JCRs move into merchandise

College JCRs are to sell their own crested sweatshirts, polo shirts, tshirts and jackets by the start of next academic year.
The move was proposed by Oxford Limited, a company owned by the University, who currently supply merchanise to the University Shop on the High Street. The University does not profit from these sales, as the majority of crests are not trademarked and can be used freely by independent companies.
Oxford Limited intends to offer colleges the opportunity to sell the items directly through the JCRs at competitive prices.
Mike Davies, Managing Director of Oxford Limited, proposed the move, and said he was concerned about the sweatshop manufacturing of some of the unofficial University and College products sold in Oxford.
The current plans are a result of talks between Oxford Limited and OUSU’s Ethics Committee. The production of the merchandise abides by a fair labour policy set by the International Federation of Alternative Trade.
Davies proposed the move to the Presidents’ Committee, the representative body of all JCR Presidents, on 25 February 2005.
The majority of JCR Presidents showed an interest in the scheme, which will allow JCRs to make profit from the merchandise for the first time.
Davies said, “We are all part of the same community. This is about keeping the money in the community, whether it be to help fund the academic departments or support the student body.”
OUSU helped to develope discussions between Davies and the Presidents’ Committee, and the terms of OUSU’s involvement in the venture are to be negotiated in a meeting of the committee this Friday.
Daniel Finley, Managing Director of Oxford Student Services Limited (OSSL), the business arm of OUSU, said, “We have been working with JCRs to introduce this range to the student population.
“We will be producing a catalogue, advertising the service inThe Oxford Student, in our Freshers’ Guide and our other publications, as well as developing a website and an online ordering service.
“We are committed to providing the best possible value for our students.”
Oxford Limited’s supplier, Brandco, has promised to give 10% royalties to Oxford Limited for the right to call themselves the University’s official supplier. Davies says that this sum is to go to the University chest, and will help cover Oxford Limited’s costs.
Alan Strickland, JCR President of Merton College, said of the plans, “I think any scheme that raises money for the JCR and brings down prices for students is a good thing, especially when the money made can be spent on Entz or Welfare.”
The University is currently branching out into retail. All items bearing the University of Oxford’s official trademarked logo, the belted arms, are made under licence.
Oxford Limited has also licensed designs taken from the Libraries, Museums, and Archives of the University, which have been used to sell products ranging from toys to garden tools.ARCHIVE: 0th week TT 2005