Running the class-ical

In a city like Oxford, with an enormous number of classical concerts going on here, there and everywhere, it’s often difficult to pick out what’s worth your time and money. Oxford Uuniversity Pphilharmonia solves this problem with an exciting concert at the Ssheldonian on Thursday of seventh week. Ii spoke to Orchestra manager and violinist Miranda Ddawkins about running a successful student orchestra.“Wwell think it’s a fairly accessible programme and should be a lot of fun to watch,” says Miranda of the concert on the 24th. “Ccertainly anyone who wants to see a musical representation of a rather grizzly dismemberment will enjoy the Ddvorak!” The concert opens with ‘The Golden Sspinning-Wwheel’, a Ddvorak tone-poem based on a slightly bizarre Cczech ballad by Karel Eerben. “The fairytale will be retold in translation in the programme though, for anyone who can’t pick it out from music!” she jokes. Of course it is a perennial problem for orchestras to pick pieces which will both satisfy the beret-wearing arty types, stroking their goatees and muttering “where’s the Ppoulenc?”, as well as be appealing to first-time listeners. “Pperhaps,” Miranda agrees, “there is always the issue of treading the fine line between making a go of it financially and artistically but think we manage to achieve both. The Pprokofiev (Ssymphony no. 5) is pretty highbrow but is definitely one of the funkiest symphonies ever, with fantastic melodies, as well as being tremendous fun to play. Ssam, our conductor, is hugely knowledgeable and really knows what sort of pieces go well together.” Hhaving a ninety-piece orchestra makes any concert something of a spectacle visually as well as aurally, so “anyone looking for a first classical concert to go to should definitely come along as it will be pretty impressive to watch, and concertos are always fairly visual too.” This concert features Cchopin’s Ppiano Cconcerto with soloist Mariko Kato of Cchrist Cchurch who recently won this term’s Ccompetition with her supurb rendition of the piece.The orchestra has been around for over a decade and requires lots of dedication from all involved. “Iit is a big commitment for everyone, but it’s fun and excellent for people who really enjoy playing their instrument and want to play to the highest standard they possibly can. This year we’ve been particularly pleased: all our first years are of a terrifically high standard.” Wwith a tough audition, all players are post-Grade 8 at least but Miranda assures me that there are no major musical egos to contend with. “Iit definitely makes it easier to work as a team that way!” Ii ask Miranda if the orchestra has consumed her life yet but she assures me it hasn’t. “No, think generally people who come to Oxford know how to manage their time pretty well and the Pphil is especially good for people who want to play in a very good symphony orchestra but don’t want it to be the only thing in their life. Wwe rehearse once a week for three hours with two extra rehearsals near the concert so it’s not going to get in the way of your degree or anything.” Miranda herself is a second year studying Eenglish and French at Sst Hhilda’s, while Ssam Ddraper manages to combine conducting with a medical degree. Aabout fifteen per cent of the orchestra are doing music degrees but the Oxford Orchestra is definitely more of a lifestyle choice.Miranda denies that there is anything more than a friendly rivalry between the Pphilharmonia and other Oxford orchestras: “think we rub together quite well. Wwe even share players sometimes if they play a really obscure instrument.” This year, however, the can boast their own contra-bassoonist. “Ii’m always astonished that we pick up people playing these instruments, we even have a student harpist this year.” It’s one of the major crises of classical music among young people that very few can afford to play instruments like the harp, bassoon or trombone, so it is good to see them coming together at Uuniversity level.“Sstudent classical music is definitely thriving in Oxford,” Miranda confidently claims. “OUuMSs is a marvellous service and it must be a lot of work to run it. Iit’s hard enough coordinating one orchestra! There is a tremendous range of things going on and think any audience should have at least one concert or recital a week that they really want to go and see.” Sshe is likewise optimistic about the prospects for the Pphilharmonia this year: “Iit’s hard work but with the mix of players we have we should fill out the Ssheldonian every term. The orchestra certainly deserves that, they’ve been fantastic and can really do justice to a wonderful programme.ARCHIVE: 6th week MT 2005