Student in drink- driving

An Exeter student was arrested by police and held in custody overnight after a car crash in St Clement’s Street last week.According to other Exeter students, the third-year had earlier been thrown out of the college on 27 October by the porter, after littering the lodge with food and causing excessive noise before driving off in a car with a friend. It is not know whether it was he or his friend who was driving, or who was at the wheel at the time of the crash.
The Exeter third-year has refused to comment on the issue.
One student, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “Him and someone else went driving, and crashed the car. They were both arrested and spent the night in the cells.”
“I’m not sure which one of them was driving at the time.”
The student was of the opinion that they would both have been over the limit. Subsequently the police have confirmed that both students in the car were over the legal limit when arrested.
The student, who wished not to be named, has been disciplined a number of times in the past, including being thrown out of three balls. He was made  to sign a contract by College authorities promising not to disturb college life any further after being expelled from an Exeter ball.
“He got kicked out of 3 college balls: our own, Lincoln and Hilda’s,” said another Exeter student. “There was an incident last year in which the police were called to the college’s accommodation on Iffley Road to prevent him from drink driving then.”
Another student, who also wished to remain anonymous, criticised the college for not acting more harshly with him.
“He has totally deserved any punishment doled out by college. In fact, I would go as far as to tell you that the punishment is sending down, and even this is not far enough in my opinion.
“He deserves everything he gets, and I hope he is sent to prison. It is a disgustingly selfish and vile action to drink drive, where not only your own life is at danger, but those of others around you,” they said.
Thames Valley Police confirmed that police had been called to an incident on the morning of the 27 October in which a car had crashed into a barrier outside The Duke pub on St Clement’s, though they refused to confirm the names of those arrested.
Both occupants of the vehicle were arrested for being above the legal alcohol limit and for failing to stop at a road accident. One was also arrested for using the vehicle without third-party insurance.
They were released on police bail, under instruction to return to the station on 30 November to be either formally charged or acquitted. Exeter College refused to make a comment on the case, saying it was an internal disciplinary matter.
According to a survey carried out in August by the charity Brake, almost one in five drivers from the ages 17-18 has admitted to drink driving.
Jools Townsend, head of education at Brake, said “Every day young drivers kill and seriously injure themselves and others through a deadly combination of inexperience and taking risks like drink driving.” Brake have called for targeted road-side testing of drivers’ alcohol levels, in order to reduce drink-driving related deaths by youngsters.
Louise Randall, OUSU Vice-President for Welfare, said that drink driving was extremely irresponsible as it put other road users in danger.
“Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is extremely dangerous and potentially lethal not only to the driver but to those around them.”
“We urge students to drink responsibly and never to take the wheel whilst under the influence. Nominate a designated driver, and don’t be afraid to take car keys off those who have been drinking. Don’t pay the price for taking risks, take a taxi,” she said.