Brasenose dropout sells Big Issue

A Brasenose student who had taken a year out of college is now selling the Big Issue in Cowley and Jericho. 

The student, who we have decided not to name, would have been a PPE finalist this year, but decided to leave college mid-way through Michaelmas term 2007, after developing a drug problem.

He had been described as a gifted student, but his work suffered as a result of the habit, according to a friend who wished to remain anonymous. He left the University but has remained in Oxford. He continues to have a drug problem. 

The student has been seen selling the Big Issue around Tesco’s in Cowley, near the Co-op in Jericho, and also in Summertown. He has also been aided by the Gap Project, on Park End Street, a social welfare service that helps homeless, socially excluded or vulnerable people find somewhere to live, as well as jobs.

According to another one of his friends, a homeless heroin-addict who preferred to remain anonymous, the ex-Brasenose student is determined to come back to the University and made the choice to live on the streets after engaging with a number of people in a similar situation while still at college. He is due to take up his studies again next academic year.

When we spoke to the student, he described the support he received from Brasenose as “brilliant” but would not talk further about his situation.

One Brasenose third-year, who preferred to remain anonymous, said, “It is hard to believe that someone can go from studying at one of the best universities in the world to selling the Big Issue on the street.

“It’s a tragic waste of talent, but just goes to show the devastating consequences of drug addiction.”

Rebecca Burton, OUSU’s Health and Welfare Officer, said, “OUSU believes that all colleges have a duty of care to all of their students and we hope that this has been met in this situation. We would also urge any student who believes that they may be developing any form of addiction to contact their GP or another specialist welfare provider, such as the national drugs helpline, Release.”

Brasenose College refused to comment, saying they do not speak about individual cases.