Blasphemy: On The Road

Today I chanced upon the worst piece of journalism I’ve ever come across. Insert your own OxStu joke here if you must, but I am in fact talking about Peaches Geldof’s new column in Nylon magazine.

Wince at the reference to the inhabitants of Indiana as ‘locals’ that somehow evokes Michael Palin inviting himself into a Yurt on the Russian steppes. Laugh at the way she seems to think buying second-hand clothes is cool and original. Gawp at the complete lack of either self-awareness or irony. Pay closest attention, however, to the way she characterises a few weeks in a van in America as a ‘Jack Kerouac adventure.’

This is the lasting legacy of Kerouac and On the Road. He and his most famous book are also to blame for the tiresome phenomenon of bald white guys who think themselves cool because they own a few jazz records, but his most heinous crime is that of romanticising slackerdom.

Thanks to Kerouac, middle-class kids think it’s fine to waste time and money (the issue of whose time and money it is matters little) being noncontributing members of society, spending all their time drunk, high, or having sex.

Kerouac, then, invented the gap year; the idea that if you spend enough time wandering aimlessly you’re sure to ‘find yourself’ eventually. By the end of the book, Sal Paradise is drained, weary, symbolically dead, let down by his hollow dream and empty idols, but Kerouac has spent too much time glorifying Paradise and Moriarty’s transcontinental hedonism for the final pages’ sobering moral message to really ring true.

There’s another reason Peaches Geldof considers On the Road such a cultural touchstone. It’s there in her column, when she coos with glee at buying family heirlooms from the poor at knockdown prices, and it’s there in Kerouac’s awkward, voyeuristic depictions of blacks and Mexicans in On the Road. The book represents the middle-class desire to shrug off the oh-so-wearying shackles of privilege and wealth in order to go see how the other half lives.

It is, in large parts, Pulp’s Common People with all the irony sucked out, or Orwell’s Down and out in Paris and London minus the genuine pain and suffering. With a writing style as lazy as its characters, this is soft fiction for soft people.

Redeem Yourself: Read this instead
Allen Ginsberg’s Howl – A far more powerful statement of the Beat movement’s ideals.