Worcester "Big Dogs" denied queue-jump

Worcester JCR rejected a motion which would have allowed “Big Dogs” to queue-jump for entry to hall.

The motion was entitled “The Big Names Dinner Queue-Jump Motion” and was proposed by Will Grundy during the last JCR meeting of the term. 

In it, Grundy asked the JCR to note that “Worcester is dominated by a Big-Name culture, maintained by a small and powerful cultural elite of Big Dogs, Massive Lads, and Top Lasses.” He claimed that these “Big Dogs” are entitled to early entry to hall because of their vital role in college life.

“These crucially important personalities are solely responsible for maintaining Worcester College’s social reputation,” he wrote.

He said that queue-jumping was justified because “constant hounding takes up a lot of time for these Big Names, many of whom have much better things to be doing, examples of which include drinking 4 VKs at any one time, and looking down their noses at any one who has failed to scale the epic social heights that they have.”

Grundy now claims that the failed motion was intended as a joke. “It was extremely ironic…there’s always a few joke motions going around the JCR.”

“It was absolutely pasted at the meeting, and quite rightly so,” he said.

Ella Miller, Worcester JCR President confirmed that people who proposed the motion made it clear that it was a joke. She added, “Someone said there’s some weight behind it, but overall it was clear that no harm was intended.”

However, some members of the JCR did not take the proposal so lightly. One Worcester student, who asked to remain anonymous, said, “[There is] a growing sense of dislocation that has been troubling the college, as a small group of supposedly popular individuals increasingly try to assert themselves on their less attention-seeking peers.”

“Why should the JCR Committee…be trying to further the efforts of people whose university careers amount to desperate social climbing at the detriment of others?” he said.

Grundy was not able to offer a definition of what constitutes a “Big Dog”.