Review: Sherlock Holmes

When a filmmaker starts talking about a new way of depicting a well-loved literary figure there will always be a few who consider such talk alone tantamount to blasphemy. I don’t count myself among them, though admittedly the thought of Guy Ritchie, best-known for his gangster films, directing two Hollywood A-listers in the leading roles of a new adaptation of Sherlock Holmes was a mix that didn’t look too promising at first. Thankfully, this very mix has produced one of the most entertaining films of the year.

There’s not a deerstalker in sight as Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson try to solve the mystery of a serial killer who has apparently risen from the dead and a secret society that is trying to take over the world. Okay, I’ll admit that the basic plot doesn’t sound all that good on paper and with good reason, as my rather apathetic synopsis suggests the plot simply isn’t particularly interesting. Yet this is scarcely a problem because this film is less about the mystery and more about the men who solve it. Where the script fails in producing an engrossing story line, it excels in its reworking of the two leading characters.

Although the plot may not deserve an extensive description, the characters certainly do. Instead of what some had feared; a case of Hollywood massacring a piece of literary history, what has actually taken place is a very well thought-out and even surprisingly subtle reimagining of the leading characters. Far from being a total overhaul of Holmes,

Robert Downey Jr’s portrayal of a troubled genius does not stray all that far from the original, save perhaps for a slightly greater emphasis on the ‘troubled’ part. He craves occupation, either intellectually, or physically, enjoying both a fight in pursuit of criminals or simply for fun (and perhaps some money) in his spare time. The audience is shown a man with a brilliant mind able to solve any crime with which he is presented, yet who is incapable of taking care of himself. Left to his own devices, his craving for intellectual stimulation sees him become increasingly destructive both to the furniture and himself. Here we see a truly flawed genius, one that despite the changes from the books is perhaps closer to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s original than one might think.

Whilst Holmes may be lacking some social skills, Jude Law’s Watson is every bit the charismatic Victorian gentleman, who manages to engage his own not insignificant intellect in more constructive and organised pursuits. This is certainly not the bumbling sidekick we’ve seen in previous screen adaptations.

It is the relationship between Holmes and Watson that is the film’s most interesting feature, one which is explored in surprising depth for an action-comedy film. Holmes is in many ways dependent on his good friend Watson to pull him out of his destructive phases. At times Holmes appears almost childish compared to Watson who must play the part of both a friend and at times a guardian. This is only reinforced when Sherlock learns that his friend is moving out to live with his fiancé. Yet this dependence is somewhat reciprocal. Whilst Watson might want to appear reluctant to help out his friend in solving a case, he still yearns for adventure, perhaps seeking to re-live his past, one which we are led to believe may not be as unblemished as it seems.

Having spent so long on the characters I have almost forgotten to praise the two leads for their superb performances in creating them. This is not to say that the supporting cast was poor, far from it, but they were all very much a sideshow compared to the heroes of the piece. The same goes for pretty much everything else, even the wonderful recreation of Victorian London and Guy Ritchie’s distinctive style of directing took a back seat role, letting the two leading actors carry the film. This may suffice as a one-off, but when it comes to the inevitable sequel my concern is that this won’t be enough and a more arresting plot will be necessary. But setting those concerns for the future aside, whilst Sherlock Holmes contains much that is below par, these problems are easily countered by the excellent characterisation and acting to make this a thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours.

4/5 stars