Marc Kidson shows you how to make an effortlessly impressive risotto that will make you think of Spring.
Pea, Mint and Feta Risotto, Serves 2
1tbsp olive oil
a knob of butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
Two generous handfuls of risotto rice
1 pint of vegetable stock (plus extra water if needed)
Salt and black pepper
1. Heat the olive oil and the butter in a large saucepan until butter has melted.
2. Add the onion and fry gently until soft.
3. Add the risotto rice and stir to combine with the onions, oil and butter.
4. After a few minutes, when the grains are starting to turn translucent, begin adding the stock a bit at a time, waiting for the risotto to absorb the last lot before adding more.
5. When all the stock has been added, taste some of the rice, it should be creamy with a slight firmness in the grains, if it is too firm continue adding water.
6. When the risotto is done, add the frozen peas to the pan, breaking up any clumps and mixing them into the rice.
7. After 3 minutes or so the peas will be cooked through, tear some mint and add it to the pan. Then add the feta. Stir well for 1 minute,
8. Remove from the hob, serve immediately. Garnish with mint leaves for an extra touch.