Hand in hand

Members of RAG and the LGBTQ  community successfully joined hands all the way around the Rad Cam last Saturday to spread a positive message about expressing sexuality.

The SSHH event, or ‘Same Sex Hand Holding’, brought members of both groups together in encircling the iconic Oxford building.

Radhika Goyal, an E&M student and one of the organisers of the event, told Cherwell, “It was great! The rationale was to spread a positive message about feeling comfortable about expressing sexuality in public.

“Despite living in a liberal environment, it is still the case that same sex couples can encounter negativity or taboo.”

High attendance meant that unlike last year’s attempt, a full circle was made around the domed building despite heavy winds and rain.

One onlooker commented, “I think it’s a great idea. It’s good to make a message and they’ve done it in a clever way. I hope it makes a difference.”

Alistair Nichols, a student from Corpus Christi who took part in the event, said, “The aim of the event was to make people feel comfortable about displaying their sexuality.

The event, the second of its kind, marks a general campaign to improve the expression of sexuality at Oxford. A RAG member commented, “this is an important opportunity to spread a positive message.”

RAG and LGBTQ have not yet confirmed any future plans, although Goyal suggested that an event on a bigger scale in Trinity may be forthcoming.